Tuscany traveling from Rome

Sonoma

Looking for ideas flying into Rome would like to see Florence sienna Tuscan hills. Have been told to take train from Rome to Florence then rent a car.. But then what.. Heard don't drive in Florence in sienna.. So what are the best options? When do I rent the car to stay and travel thru the hold where the train can't get us... Also where should we make our mainstay Florence or sienna? Looking for any suggestions... Haven't really been able to get a solid answer thanks

Having a car is far and away the best way to explore Tuscany. Public transortation in Tuscany is set up to get Italian citizens to and from work and school. It's not geared towards touristic travel.

Getting to Tuscany/Chianti from Rome

Hello

I am in similar situation. I am trying to get to Castellina in Chianti from Leonardo da Vinci airport. I am deciding on whether to rent a car and drive to Castellina or use the train system (shuttle to Rome train station, take the train from Rome to Florence and then rent a car to get to Castellina.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you,
Khanh

Buongiorno,

actually Khanh, that is exactly what I would have suggested. The trains are easy to handle, they leave right there from the airport. You can change from the airport and transfer to Florence in 2 hours and then a relaxing drive to Castellina in Chianti.

However, I wouldn't say "no" to driving from Rome (airport!, definitely from the city center - madness) to Castellina in Chianti. You can wander up the autostrada - stop in at Orvieto and maybe from here follow the back roads through Val d'Orcia, Siena and then Castellina... ;-)

Buon Viaggio,

Donna Denise

Thank you very much for your answer Donna.
My fiancee and I are landing in Rome at 11am and hoping to get to Castellina in Chianti as fast as possible for an early check in, 5pm. Would you still suggest the train? I was told that the train system can be very hectic especially with the transfer between trains?