Moving Around in Tuscany

bdecater

I will be traveling to Tuscany in April, 2018. I am booked to stay in a place in Reggello and will have a rental car. After doing a little research I am very concerned (a) that reaching my location can be very treacherous; and (b) how I will be able to get to Florence to meeting places of most of the tours I have booked. Do you have any advice about how I should plan to move around from Reggello to Florence other than by car???????

If you care to share where you're staying in Reggello, maybe I can map it out and try to figure out why you think it is treacherous to move from there. Unless you're staying at a house on a sharp incline that makes it looks scary to drive up the driveway, Reggello should be a good base as it isn't far from the A1 highway.

In any case, if you're concerned about getting into Florence by car (because you then have to worry about where to park, traffic, not entering the ZTL area, etc), the easiest solution would be to drive down from Reggello to Figline Valdarno (there is a large parking lot where you can leave your car behind the train station, in Piazza Caduti di Pian d'Albero, then take a passageway under the tracks to get to the station) and from there catch a local train into Florence's Santa Maria Novella train station.
A great majority of tours use SMN as a meeting point to start off the tour. This way you don't have to worry about driving into Florence. You can check train timetables on www.trenitalia.com - you do not have to buy train tickets for regional trains ahead of time since they are fixed cost and do not provide seating. You just buy at the train station (some newspaper kiosks and coffee shops will sell tickets by the KM distance, they are similar).

Moving Around Tuscany

We will be staying at the Fattoria Degli Usignoli in Reggello. Any help you could provide would be wonderful !! Thank you so much for your response. I would very much appreciate your help in mapping out our travel !!

Reggello without a car

Buongiorno,

The road up to Reggello can be a bit curvy - but I would not consider it treacherous at all. If you're not used to curves, I suppose it might seem a bit scary the first time, but as you get used to these types of roads in Tuscany, they just might grow on you :cool:

If you're worried about doing the road up and down, you could use public transport. There is a bus in Reggello which will get you down to Figline Valdarno, where you can catch a bus to Florence and back.

The only problem is making sure to plan with the schedule: there are a few very early morning departures which should get you in Florence in time for organized tours. Just keep in mind that it looks like your last reentry from Florence to Reggello is around 5:30 pm.

Buon Viaggio,

Donna Denise

I would still suggest the better course of action is driving to Figline and from there catching the train, that way avoiding to have to match bus schedules on top of everything else.

Train takes you right into SMN from where many tours start.

Let us know if you're in need of more help with your itinerary.