Most logical place to stay?

boymama3

This is probably too much info, but here goes....My oldest son will be in the Tuscany region (Florence, Arezzo, Bologna) for three weeks for a study abroad at the beginning of June 2018. The rest of my family (husband, myself, 17 year old son and 13 year old son) will be meeting him afterwards for 10 nights. We fly into Venice and spend one night. Then take a train to Santa Margherita for three nights (plan to visit Cinque Terre while there for a day). We will then head to Tuscany region. Because my oldest will have been there, we are trying to do different things. From what I've read, the crowds will be crazy in the cities (ie, Florence) so we thought we might spend the next three nights on the outskirts of Florence. I would love to avoid a car rental but get the feeling it will be very limiting. We do want to tour an olive orchard or vineyard and do a cooking class. We will then take a train from Florence to Rome for our final three nights.

Is this too much?? We are trying to balance the busy city with some relaxing time at the coast/countryside. I appreciate your thoughts!

studying abroad

Buongiorno,

Since you will want to do some things your son probably hasn't done, then I will say yes you will probably want a car. - It is not a must, but it would make your life much easier.

Some places you might want to consider that your son probably will not have seen are Vald'Orcia, Maremma and even Casentino (a personal favorite since I spent may years near Poppi).

I suggest that you have a look at this place for a stay, they are centrally located for exploring the countryside, and if you wanted to (once you arrived) you could move around with the bus. I particularly like that they are within walking distance of a small town - great experience enjoying the local life AND they just started cooking lessons. Read my review: https://www.discovertuscany.com/siena/accommodation/farmhouses/casa-podere-monti.html

You can also browse these suggestions on the outskirts of Florence: http://www.florenceaccommodation.com/florence-outskirts/

Buon Viaggio,

Donna Denise