Poppies

JaneHobson

Any thoughts on when and where to see the best poppy fields? We will be in Tuscany May 2019 and hope to see a good showing. I realize it is weather dependent but an educated guess would be appreciated.

You will find poppies all over Tuscany but in particular they prefer dry and well drained areas such as Val d'Orcia. The poppy in a field of grain is always a sign that herbicides have not been used.

What I had for the first time this year were some dishes prepared with the very tender leaves of the poppy before flowering - a frittata and ravioli with a ricotta and poppy leaves.

Perhaps you should also consider going here -https://www.nationalreview.com/photos/italian-flower-fields/#slide-1

Especially since the devastating earthquake destroyed so many buildings. Also remember that this valley is famous for its production of lentils which are considered the best in Italy. The traditional New Year dinner in many parts of Italy includes zampone and lentils which are considered a symbol of money in the coming year.

May should be a good month, they start showing up in spring with rain and sun.. and continue throughout the summer.

That area where lentils are grown in Umbria is famous (at least here) and was still in bloom around 2 weeks ago, I guess because it is cultivated so they keep blooming, plus the higher elevation keeps temperature ideal for the flowers.
I am not sure how it looks in May in particular.

I forgot to add that Castelluccio in Umbria is like a 4 hour drive from Florence, so it isn't a day trip sort of thing. You should plan to stay at least a night in the area - at that point, make sure to stop in Norcia and Perugia! ;)