Montecatini Train stations are closed or not

mrs.monique

Hello,

I will be travelling with my family on 16 august 2018 to Montecatini from Pisa airport by train. The hotel is not far from Montecatini Centro station but I just checked in google that it is permanently closed. At first the hotel did not aware that it is closed when I asked. And now the hotel said that both stations, the Montecatini Therme and Montecatini Centro are closed. Have to take bus from Pistoia, which is amost an hour ride by bus. When I checked the trenitalia website for schedule, there is no mention that the stations are closed. So I am very confused.

Is it true that both Montecatini stations are closed in August? So pity if it is true,that will make travelling by train impossible.

If anyone can help me, I appreciate it so much. Thank you in advance.

I found the notice of the ongoing works --- and what it actually says is that the SECTION of tracks between Montecatini and Pistoia is closed while they double the rail line, so there is a BUS that connects these two stations. The bus does not stop at the train station in between (Serravelle Pistoiese). This will be between July 15 - September 2, after that it is only on weekends.
Here's the notice on the trenitalia website if you're interested in reading it.

This means that you CAN use the train to get from Pisa to Montecatini --- take train to Lucca and then to Montecatini, not through Florence as it will be longer since you then do need to take train to Pistoia and then take bus!

It will take some planning to move around from Montecatini once you're there but it will not make moving around impossible. You'll just need to plan to take bus for a part of it if you're heading in the direction of Florence..... maybe you could consider car rental if you want to avoid the hassles of train+bus.

Here's google translate

Viareggio Line - Lucca - Pistoia - Florence. Changes to train traffic
Effective from: 15/07/2018 to: 02/09/2018
Intervention:
From 11.30 pm on July 15th to 5.00 am on 2 September 2018, for infrastructural upgrading works in preparation for the doubling of the Pistoia - Montecatini Terme line, the railway line between the stations of Pistoia and Montecatini will be interrupted and the passenger service will be guaranteed from replacement buses.

Trenitalia did the same thing last year. Train ends in Pistoia coming from Florence (Firenze) then direct bus and train ride from Montecatini Terme to Montecatini Centro. No problems going to/from Pisa. I remember changing trains when going to Pisa from Montecatini Centro.

Hello to everyone,
Im coming soon to Tuscany, staying at the Montecatini for a few days. I need some informations about coming to Firenze from Montecatini. I saw information for the working on trainline, so my question is: Is complicated to make the route with bus to Pistoia and then take train? And should i get the ticket for the bus to Pistoia, and for the train from Pistoia to Firenze separately (2 tickets)? Also the round way from Firenze to Montecatini is same (Firenze - Pistoia - Montecatini)?

Thank you in advance!

Yes, the work on doubling the rail tracks started last year and is taking a long time! To be expected, it is a major infrastructural project.

You have two options: there are already buses that generally connect the two cities as well as the Tranitalia bus while train service is interrupted. So you can either get any bus to Pistoia and then get on the train (need 2 tickets) or just pay for the train from Montecatini, take their bus and just get 1 ticket. Valid for return too. I think much will depend on time tables, so you can just see what's available when you need it and buy tickets on the spot. You want to go to the Montecatini Terme/Monsummano train station for the bus! The timetables you see on trenitalia are valid for bus+train.

I like using google maps for routes because they have good integration of train and bus timetables - check them out here:
https://goo.gl/maps/tfHQ32Cwvnq