Vendemmia near Greve

bcnc

Hi! My 24 year old daughter and I will be in Florence for several nights in September (no car). Is there somewhere near Florence or Greve (since it is accessible via the bus) where we can participate in the Vendemmia for a half day or a full day?

Not sure that this will be possible as most vineyards want experienced pickers and the most serious use the same people year in year out. Also there is generally a list (of local people with experience) from which one can select people if you are short on numbers. These pickers are paid.

I know of one place which does in fact offer a full day picking experience but you have to stay there.

grape harvest

Buongiorno,

Actually - technically - it is not possible for you to assist in the harvest unless you are on the payroll - and thus covered for risks. Not to mention all of the red tape that goes with taxes etc. One would think that this could be a great opportunity for the locals to mix with guests to Italy...but alas...

Another consideration is that the harvest takes place when the grapes are ready (and not when the harvesters are ready) so the dates are difficult to program. They might not start harvesting until after you leave - or they might have it all done by time you get there.

You will have a better chance of participating if you are actually staying on the property - there are a few that will allow for this possibility. If you are staying in Florence, you could look at a B&B with a vineyard, however, let them know up front that you want to participate in the vendemmia - (check out this link - http://www.tuscanyaccommodation.com/wine-tastings/)

Buon Viaggio,

Donna Denise