www.tuscanyaccommodation.comwww.tuscanyaccommodation.comwww.tuscanyaccommodation.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First Time Tuscany

Todd1977Tas is offline Junior Member - Learning about Tuscany

So Lourdes we will only have 8 full days (maaaaaaaaybe 10 but def 8). Where do we start? Sorry for questions I just don't have a clue.

Definitely have hire car.

Lourdes I've decided we'll have 10 full days. Will we stay 7 in one location and spend 3 in the area at the end that you suggested? 😁

Lourdes is offline Administrator - DiscoverTuscany Team

Wonderful news!! Yes, I'd suggest doing one base for 7 days in a central location (anywhere between Florence and Siena would be good) and then for the last 3 moving west, maybe 1 night in Lucca and then head on to Cinque Terre for 2 days. You'll enjoy it more if you're not in a hurry and can do some hiking in between some - I suggest the path between Monterosso and Vernazza, while it is steep it is quite spectacular view from above. You could base in Monterosso. Also keep in mind you could return the car before heading to CT, as you don't need a car there at all.
    Where to stay in Tuscany? Read this if you will have a car and this if you won't!
    When is the best time to visit? Make sure to read this!

Well we are all booked! Car hire.... Wow there are some huge hire bonds! Any reputable cheaper ones about?

Lourdes is offline Administrator - DiscoverTuscany Team

You can go with local companies and save as compared to the international brands. There are a lot of local companies, but you should be able to price compare for similar services.
    Where to stay in Tuscany? Read this if you will have a car and this if you won't!
    When is the best time to visit? Make sure to read this!

So this is frustrating...My wife and I don't use credit cards, only debit and we can't seem to get a rental, yet Auto Europe say that they accept them. Ugh!!

craigmillar is online now Senior Member - Expert about Tuscany

Basically, all hire car companies require a credit card rather than a debit card.

Those that might accept a debit card would normally require full payment in advance as well as a substantial deposit - normally at least 5,000 Euros - as well as having to accept full insurance options.

You may only use debit cards but you generally need a credit card for hire car purposes. Why not apply for one and only use it for such purposes?

All sorted! Indigo Car Hire based in the UK booked through Europcar and they are happy to take a debit card. Woohoo! Have got confirmation as well.

Have any of you gone train from Paris to Florence during the day? Is it about 10 hours? TIA

craigmillar is online now Senior Member - Expert about Tuscany

Todd

I wouldn't want you to face a disaster when you arrive in Italy and find that the local Europcar office refuses hiring to you since you do not have a credit card.

You must be absolutely sure of this and the written confirmation must come from Europcar and not just from Indigo.

Also have you ascertained what deposit Europcar will block on your debit card?