www.tuscanyaccommodation.comwww.tuscanyaccommodation.comwww.tuscanyaccommodation.com

Thread: Best use of time with 4 Days in Tuscany

EStrutt is offline Junior Member - Learning about Tuscany

Default Best use of time with 4 Days in Tuscany

My daughter and I will be traveling in Italy in Mid-March. We will be traveling to Tuscany/Florence area from Rome and departing via train to Venice. We will have almost 4 full days, Sat (arriving from Rome), Sun, Mon, Tues, leaving Wed morning for Venice. I have been to Florence and have been trying to decide if we should make Florence or home base or if there are any other great towns to make a home base. Since I have been to Florence before I was thinking of spending a day, two at the most actually in the city of Florence and taking day trips the other two days. I know some of this is personal preference but what towns/cities do you recommend seeing in those two days. And which are the easiest to get to from Florence if we are not renting a car or taking a tour. Or do we really need to take a tour since we will not have a car. We would love to see a winery and love the smaller historic towns and landscapes. I have briefly been to Siena, San Gimignano, and Pisa on a day tour from Florence. I would be ok with going to back to Siena but do not want to go back to Pisa as there are other places I would rather see. Sorry for all the questions I am trying to make the most of our short time in Tuscany. I really appreciate any help! Thank you so much!

Lourdes is online now Administrator - DiscoverTuscany Team

Florence is a good base if you're not going to have your own means of transport.

I would highly recommend a tour only for a wine tour/tasting so that you can go into Chianti and visit wineries and do tastings without worrying about how to move around.

On the other day, I would suggest a day trip back to Siena: how much did you really get to see last time?
    I would recommend a visit to the inside of the Duomo as well as to the inside of the Palazzo Pubblico, as a minimum.
    Here's other ideas for a day in Siena: https://www.discovertuscany.com/itin...-in-siena.html

If you prefer to explore a new place, then a train ride gets you easily to Arezzo. Take a look at this day itinerary in Arezzo for ideas: https://www.discovertuscany.com/itin...in-arezzo.html

Enjoy whatever you do, it is better to not try to plan too much in those two days and enjoy each place as much as possible.
    Where to stay in Tuscany? Read this if you will have a car and this if you won't!
    When is the best time to visit? Make sure to read this!