Ten days in Tuscany

Janos

Hello everyone,
We are planning a ten day trip in Tuscany next year. I am pretty excited about this project already, but will have many questions if you don't mind.
First, the plan is this. We are going to fly to Florence, spend the night and the following day there, and then set out on this round trip: Florence-Pistoia-Lucca-Pisa-San Miniato-San Gimignano-Siena-Arezzo-Cortona-Montepulciano-Pienza-Montalcino-Massa Marittima-Florence. I was thinking that perhaps it would be more efficient money and time-wise to find a B&B place every night close to our next destination than to use a base and leave from/return there every day.
So then, here we go with the questions.
1. Do you think this route can be covered in 10 days with ease?
2. Are there any places you would omit from this list?
3. Are there any other beautiful places you guys would certainly add to this list within the 10-day framework?
4. I was thinking that the time should be early May when the weather is not cool any more, but not very hot either. Do you agree with this decision?
So much for now. Happy New Year to all!
Janos

10 days

Buongiorno,

I wouldn't change any of your choices - they look like a really nice collection, giving you a very broad view of Tuscany.

You might not need to change every night.

An idea might be:

arrive in Florence - spend two nights.

1 day Personally, a night in Lucca would be lovely - so first Pistoia then even in Lucca

1 day Pisa early in the morning before the tourists, then San Miniato, end up in San Gimignano for the night.

1 day Visit San Gimignano in the morning (before the tourists) then off to Siena (maybe stop for a wine tasting along the way. Sleep in Siena.

1 day Enjoy Siena for most of the day (museums, Duomo and shops!) and then head over towards Cortona for a visit and stay the night.

1 day From Cortona, you can visit Arezzo (definitely some wine tasting ideas in this area). I am a big fan of Arezzo, so leave yourself plenty of time to enjoy. Spend the night again in Cortona.

1 day The next day head over to Montepulciano, Pienza and Montalcino. spend the night in Montalcino

1 day Head over towards Massa Marittima. Wine tasting, landscape, abbeys along the way - sleep in the area and then to Florence

Departure.

If you want some more ideas - just let me know.

Buon Viaggio,

Donna Denise

Mille grazie!

Dear Donna,

Your suggestions seem to make a lot of sense. Thank you so much!

Best regards,
Janos

On the way or back from Massa Marittima, you should include the Abbey of San Galgano and maybe Volterra.

Just to add a few more ideas, but see whether you have the time and opportunity ;)