Advice on doing the most while in city for work

Leiahjo

Hello,

I will be in Florence in September for a work conference. I will be there a Monday-Thursday. Wondering on tips to be able to do the most in the afternoon/evenings. One day I wold like to go to a winery outside the city. Tips for transportation, location would be great. Thank you.

Enjoying Florence off hours

Buongiorno,

First I would suggest organizing a walking tour of the city for the twilight hours, it has become quite popular for guides to do a tour where you can enjoy the best of the evening colors and monuments between 7 and 9 pm - the time varies according to your needs and the guides availability. (If you want the name of a few guides to contact, just let me know)

The next thing I suggest is to check the museums - many of the larger museums offer evening hours in the summer which normally extend into September. I believe many choose Tuesday and Thursday to stay open late - but double check because it does vary a bit year to year. Palazzo Strozzi is always open on Thursday evening - and Palazzo Vecchio has evening hours.

An evening cooking class is a great way to combine the culture, the food, and the wine - several of them offer dinner and wine tastings together.

Don't forget to check with the organizers of the conference, many times they have extra activities planned for the group!

Buon Viaggio,

Donna Denise

In addition to what Donnas has recommended, you can check out walking tours of the city - as well as guided wine tastings and visits to Chianti wineries - organized through Viator here: http://tours.visitflorence.com/en/13618/Florence/d519-ttd (disclosure: affiliate link).

The organized tours for wine tastings is the best solution as you don't have to worry about transportation - or drinking and then driving ;-).

I would also suggest a tour guide if you wish to visit the Uffizi or Accademia, as that way you get a visit that will give you a sense of having seen the masterpieces AND having a better idea of the history and importance of those works. A guide knows what to highlight so that you don't roam without any idea of what you're seeing and putting it in context of the long history of the city. I have always appreciated doing the guided tours as I feel I learn something interesting and in a fun way :). The Viator link above has several tours where you can combine a walking tour with one or both museums.