Easter 2019 in Florence / Tuscany

Denise4853

My group of 4 will be arriving in Florence on Friday evening April 19th, 2019 and departing on Tuesday the 23rd which puts us there over Easter. We plan on 1.5 days exploring Florence - museums, etc. We would like to take 1 or 2 day trips into Tuscany for sightseeing, wine tasting & shopping. I've seen conflicting information that most museums are closed Mondays but some websites have suggested that due to the holiday, there may be special operating hours - including on Monday. Do you have any suggestions on which days might be best for Florence and which days for the day trips? Any help will be much appreciated.
Thank you!

Easter weekend in Florence

Buongiorno,

What a great time to be visiting Florence! So much excitement and so many events.

I suggest that you read the article at the link below. At though moment it features Easter from 2018 however, in many cases the information is very similar each year as to which museums are open and closed. Last year Easter actually landed on a special day (the first Sunday of the month) when typically many museums are open free.

That won't be the case this year.

We will be updating the information regarding times as soon as the new times are available (early April) - but if I were you I would consider the situation carefully - perhaps check out some organized tours. And if you do decided to be in the countryside on Easter Day and Easter Monday be prepared to find restaurants booked and many sites and vineyards not open. It would be best to call and reserve:cool: in both instances.

https://www.visitflorence.com/florence-events/easter-sunday-and-monday-in-florence.html

Buon Viaggio,

Donna Denise

I would plan on spending Easter Sunday in Florence (at least the morning) and trying to go see the Scoppio del Carro in front of the Duomo. It will honestly be very crowded but even if you can't get close, maybe you can see the carro arrive in the piazza and see from afar. You can then spend the rest of the day out of Florence, if you want to get away from the crowds.

Many museums are open on Monday, it is just the two main ones, the Uffizi Gallery and Accademia Gallery, that are closed. But yes, they usually do special openings on Easter Monday and so it is expected they will again this year...... but again, expect crowds. To avoid them somewhat, you can plan to go either Saturday or Tuesday. You can also visit other museums on Monday, regardless - I highly recommend the Bargello and the Medici Chapels, as well as the church of Santa Maria Novella! :D