Two week Tuscany/ Cinque Terre itinerary advice

chimni

Hi Folks,

I am planning a two week trip from India to Tuscany/ Cinque Terre in the first week of June. We are a couple in our late 30s with a 2 year old and our parents. Would be great to have some expert input. We are aiming for a relatively relaxed pace and will be covering Florence - CT by Train and then CT - Chianti by car.

Day 1 11 AM land in Florence from India
Day 2 Fir
Day 3 Fir – Lucca day trip (train)
Day 4 Fir
Day 5 Fir – Cinque Terre
Day 6 CT
Day 7 CT
Day 8 CT- Chianti (Castellina)
Day 9 Castellina - Siena
Day 10 Castellina - San Gimgiano – Monterigioni
Day 11 Castellina – Chianti villages
Day 12 Castellina – Montepulciano
Day 13 Montepulciano – Montalcino – Monticchielo
Day 14 Montelpulciano – Pienza – (San Quirico)
Day 15 To Florence
Day 16 Flight to India 3 PM

1) Any comments on the itinerary, would you change anything (order) for logistic ease? Are we missing any highlights? Like instead go Florence - Chianti - Montepulciano - Cinque Terre - Florence
2) Where would you advise staying in CT (Rio or Manorla or Vernazza)?
3) Is it fine to pick up a car from La Spezia to drive to the Chianti region and then leave the car in Florence.
4) Where would you stay in Chianti which is our first base? I currently have Castellina.
5) Advice on our second base (Montalcino, Pienza or Montepulciano?

Thanks for your inputs!

Best,
Chimni

Itin

Buongiorno,

It looks as if you have put together a pretty complete in seeing many of the more traditional and exciting stops while in Tuscany. I do note that you haven't left for a lot of "downtime" - perhaps the day you are looking at doing the Chianti villages you can plan on relaxing at the accommodations - you will probably love some pool time. You could dedicate that day to Castellina & Radda in Chianti since they are very close to each other and then enjoy the views from your apartment -

And if you choose a place that offers wine tastings or a cooking class then you can just enjoy the atmosphere all the more. Here is a list of a few places to look at (I have visted the Il Cellese, Rocca Ciaspina, & Romitorio di Serrelle and they are lovely!)

http://www.tuscanyaccommodation.com/castellina-in-chianti/

Personally, I would put your day in Lucca at the end of your time in CT, so you have 3 full days (back to back) to roam the city of Florence, its museums and monuments. Not only will it give you time to recuperate from jet lag but allow you a calm and relaxing introductin to the city and the Tuscan culture. You can get to CT easily from Florence.

Day 1 11 AM land in Florence from India
Day 2 Fir
Day 3 Fir
Day 4 Fir
Day 5 Fir – CT (morning train)
Day 6 CT
Day 7 CT
Day 8 CT - passing thru Lucca to Chianti (Castellina)

Buon Viaggio,

Donna Denise