Free Museum Sunday

Radailey

I saw on Afar travel website that the Free first Sunday was being discontinued in Florence. I will be in Florence in October and wanted to know if this was true. Most museums still had their ticket purchase blocked for the first Sunday so it looks like the program is still in place. Any updates on this?

Rumors thus far

Buongiorno,

we too have heard these rumors, however, thus far nothing concrete has come about. We will keep you updated, so make a point of reading our blog about important news that comes out of Florence.

Here is a list of museums that are open to the public for free in Florence on the first Sunday of the month:
https://www.visitflorence.com/florence-museums/list-state-museums-in-florence.html

A word of caution about the free Sunday entrance. Believe it or not, the lines are still long (if not more so), especially for the major museums. My experience has been, the free Sunday entrance is excellent to use for those smaller museums which you thought you might want to see, but ... well you weren't sure if it was in the budget or you needed just one more good reason to visit (free entrance is always a good reason :cool:)

If you browse the list above, you may be surprised at the number of amazing museums, villas & gardens that you will find in Florence, each with something totally unexpected to see.

My personal consideration is to book your tickets and skip the line to see the David and/or the Uffizi, and use this great opportunity to enter free into some of the lesser known museums.

Buon Viaggio,

Donna Denise

I've been updating articles and blog to update the information just released at the start of March:

first free Sundays all across Italy will only be in effect from OCTOBER through MARCH so if you're here on October 7, then you should be able to visit all State museums free. For the months between April and September, no more free first Sundays of the month.

Instead, the museum has to have 9 more days of free entry. Every single museum will decide on their own calendar for free museum days for them throughout the year (aside from a week called "Museum Week" when again all State museums are free, this was just this March 5-10), so these will not be the same for all museums as they have been so far. You will have to look at each museum you are interested in visiting and checking when their free days are for the year.

Here's more info on the updates, with links to the calendars for each museum:
https://www.visitflorence.com/blog/free-museum-week-march-5-10/

I'll be doing a separate post soon with the calendars for 2019 to make it easier to find, at least for the main museums in Florence ;)