Coarse fishing in the Garfagnana region

Franco

Hi Everyone

Can anyone advise me on what I need to do to start fishing in Italy, particularly in the Garfagnana region. We've just bought a little house outside of Castelnuovo di Garfagnana (needs work but it is just great) and we're looking to retire out there eventually. My hobby is fishing (a good excuse to sit by a river in the sunshine and watch the world go by) but I really don't know what the fishing rules and regulations are for Italy and in particular this region.

I've visited a couple of 'private'lakes but at around 20 euros per half day that's a bit steep to say the least!

Anyway, if anyone has got any advice on this subject I would be most grateful.

Thanks.

Fishing in Italy

Buongiorno,

If you are looking at fishing in the rivers or streams you need to acquire a license, normally from the local government (comune) and this license will be valid all over Italy.

Go to the comune where your property is located and ask them the requirements, it may include domicilio (the property address), I think two ID-sized photos and about 20 Euro. They (should) have a Caccia e Pesca (hunting and fishing) department, I believe every comune does.

If you are fishing in the ocean, then you don't require a license.

Buon Viaggio,

Donna Denise