Montepulciano and Volterra.... with a bad knee

Sush

I've heard there is quite a climb to Volterra, think maybe in Montepulciano as well. I also have a bad knee (arthritis).

I know there is a funicular in Certaldo and was wondering if there was something like that in Volterra.... or else the walk up with the least steep pitch. Same for Montepulciano.

I am hoping to go to an alabaster workout shop in Volterra as well as just wander around the town.

Thanks!

No funiculars in either Montepulciano or Volterra but the climb up is not as steep as the one in Certaldo at either of the two places, it really depends on what side of the town you start your visit. In Volterra if you arrive near the train station and enter the walls near the Medici Fortress the walk into town is very gradual. Do not enter the town through the walls near the archeological Roman site, that is definitely steep.
In Montepulciano, if you enter through Porta al Prato, the climb up is very gradual as long as you keep to the main street in town - don't take shortcuts.

Siena is also on hills, there too, if you don't cut across small alleys, you should be able to navigate the town without steep climb or stairs.
For example, from Piazza del Campo follow Via di Citta and then Via del Capitano to get to the Duomo, to avoid stairs between the baptistery and Duomo.

Thanks for the information! I think there’s an area where one can go in to watch , and purchase, alabaster being carved? Is there more than one and if eo, are they close together?

Thanks again!

I remember along that street once you're inside the town from near the Medici Fortress that there were several shops along the way and a few had the tools of the trade inside, so you could see the alabaster being worked on. But I remember this was also during the Medieval Festival when we were there, so it could have been they purposefully were doing demonstrations during that particular day.... I don't know if there are for sure workshops that all of the time show the stone being carved, as I imagine they would need to always have something to work on and to show.

I did a quick search and found these two shops with workshop, you might need to ask if someone can show it being worked if you arrive and there is no one there:

Rossi Alabastri
Piazza della Peschiera

L'Alabastro di Silvia
Via di Sotto 2

I also found this cooperative that offers guided visits to their workshop, intended for groups but if you're interested, I am sure they could offer a private tour: http://www.artierialabastro.it/visite_guidate-per-gruppi-e-scolaresche-it.htm?lang=en