Please help.

Hello Everyone.

First of all I'd like to thank all those who have helped make our trip a success by responding with fantastic answers to previous questions. We are currently staying in Castellina in Chianti. Stunning spot. We were meant to have a car but Hertz would not accept my temporary licence from Australia (even though they said they would before we left).

We have two days left in this region. Our closest station is Poggibonsi.

We would LOVE to do Volterra but I can't work out how to get there. Also would love to do Montalcino. We are also doing Monteriggioni. We've done a lot but had to rely on taxi and train. Has cost a small fortune but you got to do what you got to do. Can anyone please help me with ideas how to get to the above.

Kind Regards, Todd

Volterra is hard from Castellina -- but not impossible, you need to either go to Siena first and use that as your starting base if you can't get to Colle Val d'Elsa from Castellina. Can your hosts provide some help in figuring it out? The same for Monteriggioni, even if it is close to Castellina, you'd have to head to Siena first.

Another alternative, especially for Montalcino, is to get to Siena and then join a guided group tour, such as these:
http://tours.discovertuscany.com/en/8357/search/montalcino from siena

So sorry to hear of the troubles with the car rental, what do you mean by temporary license? you were having it renewed and didn't get it in time for the trip?