Tuscany

Joyce

hi,

Im planning a trip to Tuscany in november coz it's when I have time for travelling. I've read some articles and found the best time for visiting is september and October...so I'm just worried about the weather...

meanwhile, i will be staying in tuscany for about 2 weeks enjoying local life, nothing rush or hectic...not sure if big cities like Florence is a good choice or place like lucca is more preferable....

Any tips and suggestions are welcome....

thanks.... :)

Joyce

Tuscany in November

Dear Joyce,

In my opinion September and October are the best months for visiting Tuscany, because of the weather that it is still mild and mostly sunny. November is generally a bit rainy and grey but of course the weather is not predictable and one might still enjoy sunny days even if the temps are not high. To give you an idea, this past June was extremely rainy, August was half mild, half hot while generally the weather is nice and hot in those months ;)

2 weeks in Tuscany are a good time, since you will have the time to relax, enjoy the life here and visit lots of places. I think that where to stay really depends on what you want to do and if you are planning on driving or not.

Florence is bigger than Lucca, but it is not a metropolis like Rome or Milan. The center is small and completely walkable: in 30 minutes walking you can go from one end to the other. I also have to say that Florence is centrally located in the region and moving around, especially by public transportation, will be much easier than in Lucca. If you are staying in Lucca and you want to visit Siena, you have to pass through Florence, for example.
Lucca on the other hand is quieter and less crowded than Florence. The atmosphere is more relaxed, more typical of a small town.

Since you have 2 weeks why don't you split your stay? You can stay both in the city and in the countryside.
If you tell me your plans in general I can suggest something more specific. :)

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

car rental?

I have to also add that if you want to experience the Tuscan countryside and smaller towns, it is really more convenient to have your own means of travel i.e. rental car. Some areas are very popular but not easily reached with either train or bus. For example: the Val d'Orcia. The area is beautiful in southern Tuscany and we highly recommend visiting the small towns that are spread out there. This area has buses, but no trains. We were there last week and there were a total of 4 buses in the day passing through Pienza in the direction we wanted toward Buonconvento. We got lucky that there was still one left in the day (an hour later at 6pm) when it started to rain (we had reached Pienza walking from nearby San Quirico - beautiful sunny morning too!). Not saying it cannot be done, but requires careful planning. So that should be something you should consider when making your plans.

Thank you for the information....

At the moment I dont plan to drive during my stay, so my idea now is stay at Florence and do day trips to towns/places nearby when I feel like it....meanwhile I can also enjoy or explore Florence first...

I don't want to move around with my luggage....that's why i would prefer to stay at one place...

If some small beautiful towns requires a rental car, can it be done for 1 day?
How much does it cost to rent a car?

Thanks very much for your help...

Joyce

2 weeks in Tuscany in November

Dear Joyce,

As I wrote you before, if you intend moving around by public transports Florence is going to be the best base for your holiday. It is centrally located and well-connected to all main destinations in Tuscany. I have also to say that Florence is beautiful and deserves to be visited.

You can rent a car for 1 day or more and prices start from about 50 euro per day. You can even think about renting a scooter for shorter trip and if it's a sunny day. Rates start from about 30 euro per day. Here you have a map of the most famous car rentals in Florence center.

I suggest you look at our guide about Tuscany, so that you can find many ideas about places to visit. Since you have 2 weeks I recommend you visit both Valdorcia, as Lourdes suggested, and Maremma that I personally love. Both these regions are unique and offers so many things to see and to do that you won't be disappointed.

My last recommendation is you read our blog about Tuscany. On Fridays we always publish our suggestions for spending the weekend in Tuscany recommending the best events in the region. So you can also experience something different and typical while you'll be here.

Don't hesitate to ask any other question and I hope you'll share your experience with us :)