Rome to Siena - Car or Train?

Bobbyg

My wife and I will be visiting Italy in January. We are starting in Rome and working our way through Tuscany to Florence and Bologna at the end. We want to send a couple of days in Siena. Thoughts on options?

Drive to Siena from Rome?

Regional train to Siena?

High speed train to Florence and train or drive to Siena?

If drive, is parking problematic?

Looking for guidance. Never been to Italy before.

Thanks,

Bob

If you're not adverse to the idea of driving, I'd suggest driving up from Rome to Siena. That way you can drive through and explore the Val d'Orcia area on your way up to Siena, it is one of the most beautiful areas in all of Tuscany!

How many days will you have to get from Rome to Bologna? I just want to get a better idea of how many days you could have in Siena to explore the city and the surroundings.

In the meantime, here are some ideas for day trips from Siena:
https://www.discovertuscany.com/siena/what-to-do/day-trips-from-siena.html

You can stay in Siena - a good place to stay at with parking is Hotel Athena. We've stayed there and it is very central, just inside the walls and close walking distance to Duomo and to Piazza del Campo in Siena. With parking included, it is easy to drive out for day trips and no need to worry about parking in Siena.
Most towns do have their "centers" off limits to cars, known as ZTL areas. As long as you follow P signs for parking lots as soon as you arrive into a town, you won't be driving into those areas on accident.

Take a look through our website and get a better idea of what there is to see and do - even in January everything is open although because of the weather some places are a bit quiet (think of the seaside, being cold it isn't on the top of anybody's plans but it can still be nice to visit as long as you don't expect a dip in the water ;) ).

Let me know if you have more questions, we're happy to help!

Response Drive or Train?'

Lourdes,

Thanks so much for the information...

Our schedule is Rome 1/20 arrive, leave 1/23 (Thur)
Siena, 1/23 arrive, leave 1/25 (Sat)
Florence, 1/25 arrive, 1/28 leave (Tues)
Bologna, 1/28 arrive, 1/31 leave (Friday and fly back to US)

So, 3 days in Rome, 2 days in Siena, 3 days in Florence and 3 days in Bologna.

We have a hotel in Rome and an Airbnb in Florence. Still looking for Siena and Bologna.

Seems to me like logistically, it is hard to selectively rent and return cars. I could be wrong. One thought was to take the bullet train from Rome to Florence and then go back on regional train to Siena. That basically rules out the leisurely drive that you mentioned. I think that sounds great. Do you have feedback based upon this itinerary?

Thanks Lourdes!!!

Bob

The days you have in each are a good division of your time.

Yes, you could most definitely take the fast train to Florence, then train down to Siena - or rent a car in Rome, drive up to Siena and return in Florence on arrival, continue on without car in Florence and take train to Bologna. This avoids the doubling back down and most of all, having a car to enjoy Siena but also the countryside in Tuscany.