First time in Tuscany! Help please :)

stephanieo

Hi everyone! Excited to be visiting Tuscany for the first time in December for my birthday. Would love an ideal recommended itinerary for about 4 days. I've read through some of these threads but realize some of the info might be outdated and wanted to have the most accurate recommendations :)

Do you recommend staying in city centre in Florence the whole time and taking day trips like to Pisa/Chianti, etc? I was torn whether or not to book all 4 nights in one same hotel. Any top hotel recommendations that aren't a hostel and not too expensive? I'm traveling with my mom.

Aside from exploring Florence, what are the next 2-3 top locations we can do day trips to?

What's the best way to see the countryside in a day?

Do you recommend visiting the thermal hot springs? If so, which one?

I'd prefer to not rent a car and just use public transport. Is uber a thing there?

I appreciate ALL of your help and advice!
Thank you!

Tuscany in December

Buongiorno,

So Happy Birthday! Florence and Tuscany are a great way to celebrate!

Uber is definitely not a thing in Tuscany (though you can find it in other cities in Italy - like Milan).

And Florence is a great home base while visiting the region, since it is the capital of Tuscany it is well connected with public transport for visiting places like Pisa / Lucca etc.

I suggest you make time to visit Arezzo (easy and frequent access with the train - look for the faster trains, they can take less than an hour.) They have a lovely city and it is exceptional for the holidays with a very picturesque Christmas market in the main square (and really all throughout the city).

You will find the perfect mix of history, culture and an off the beaten track attractions.

Buon Viaggio,

Donna Denise