Elderly with mobility issues

TN girl

My mother is elderly with quite a few mobility issues -- she has to walk with a cane more often than not and has difficulty on uneven surfaces. She has a lot of difficulty with steps and inclines. She is in her mid 70's and tires very easily, but she has her heart set on visiting Tuscany. I would like opinions on whether a self tour of Tuscany is doable, considering all the hill towns and having to park outside a lot of the city walls. We had planned to see the Chianti region, Cortona, Monteriggioni, Volterra, San Gimignano, Montepulciano, etc. I would hate to travel all that distance to find out she couldn't do it. Opinions?

Mobility Issues

Buongiorno -

I believe a DIY visit to Tuscany / Italy could be possible for someone who has mobility issues - but only if you know how to manage your expectations. Somethings simply will not be feasible. For example, off the beaten track will be less likely.

You can find wheelchair assistance in the larger cities, and if you plan accordingly there are several smaller tours you can add to your agenda which will make it possible to not miss out on the "fun stuff".

I suggest the first thing you do is create a bucket list for the two of you, and then examine who those activities should be done, perhaps you can insert those "must-do's" in between days hanging out in a scenic spot. For example, one day visit a winery and Greve-Chianti (one of the few flat towns I can think of in Chianti:rolleyes:) and then the next day spend it at your B&B in Chianti, with a cooking class in the afternoon. Or have a NCC (driver with car) take you to Pisa & Lucca with the wheelchair (they know where to park to get you as close to the attractions as possible) and then the next day do a leisurely breakfast at your accommodations, and some people watching at a little town.

I also suggest you read this article:
https://www.visitflorence.com/moving-around-florence/physical-disability.html

and definitely looking into booking your museums with a guide, who can move you through with a wheelchair.

Once you have made a list of places, you and your mother really want to see, let us know and we will try to give you some insider ideas on how to visit them.

Buon Viaggio,

Donna Denise