Civitavecchia to Cortona

Jana

We have 4 adults travelling from the port of Civitavecchia to stay in Cortona. We have never been in Tuscany before and are looking forward to exploring the area. We are thinking of renting a car and driving, but we may take tours from Cortona instead of driving so thinking a rental car would be a waste, and the driver can't drink! Can anyone suggest alternate forms of transportation to Cortona? Are taxis easy to find if we take the train? Looking at staying at an Airbnb, any suggestions? Is there someplace I can look at tours in that area? I know I have a lot of questions, but need answers. Thanks in advance!

Getting to Cortona

Buongiorno,

You will find that Cortona is connected with the train station in Arezzo, which is on the national train route (Civitavecchia to Rome - then Rome to Arezzo, and then change for Cortona - however, if you time it correctly there are a few trains from Rome that go stop in Cortona!)

I would arrange with the owner of the accommodations to have a taxi waiting for you at the station. Cortona is not a metroplolis, so they don't hang out at the train station.

Not having a car is a fun idea - as long as you find yourself close to the city - you could check out a this place which is close to the city center (thus restaurants, cafes and stores)

https://www.tuscanyaccommodation.com/il-sole-del-sodo.html

Buon Viaggio,

Donna Denise