www.tuscanyaccommodation.comwww.tuscanyaccommodation.comwww.tuscanyaccommodation.com

Thread: Bicycling In Tuscany

cwbrick is offline Junior Member - Learning about Tuscany

Default Bicycling In Tuscany

We're a couple of older (68) male bicyclists of intermediate skill who are looking to enjoy a modest, self-guided, week-long cycling adventure in Tuscany in the spring or fall of 2021. We would prefer not signing up with any of the companies that offer cycling tours (due to cost) and would prefer to stay in one general location as a "home base" while exploring the area and then returning each evening to our B&B. We have never traveled internationally with our bicycles, so we are not knowledgeable of the best way to either bring our bicycles on the plane as checked baggage, or ship our bicycles ahead of time to our final destination. We do not wish to rent bicycles in Italy. We anticipate staying at a B&B we may locate on line for our entire stay and also renting a car. Has anyone done something like this? Would you have recommendations for how to get our bicycles to Italy, where in Tuscany to search for a B&B, etc. Thank you. Chuck B.

wbmac is online now Junior Member - Learning about Tuscany

The people that I have known to travel with bicycles use a case that holds their bicycle in a largely disassembled condition. It would be possible to use some kind of bicycle box for transport but then you must store the box at the end or possibly have to get another. Check with the airlines to see what they offer. I know that some airlines were better than others for transporting bicycles. They may store a box..Unless you have a perfectly fitted bicycle I would expect that the cost to rent bicycles would be close to the cost of transporting. It is possible ,even easy, to rent top quality bicycles in Europe...but I know that is not what your plan is.
    Doing some research and specifically talking to the airlines is a good place to start. You would not be pioneers in the bicycle transport option. I would suggest finding a forum where bicycling/travel is the main focus.
    I am most familiar with the city of Lucca since I have been there many times. There are a variety of day trips to visit vineyards, wineries and breweries. The Via Francigena is a very well known route and within a week the 137km to Sienna could be an option. Certainly a quick option would be to ride around the walled city but on a bike it's short, but stopping for a coffee or meal along the way would help you get your bearings.
    If Lucca is your destination I have a recommendation to help find reasonably priced accommodations; Luccabookingholiday.com - Antonella has helped me. Her pricing will be much better than going to Airbnb. However, most of her accommodations are around Lucca. I imagine there are other agencies that are similar for other localities.

Hope that helps