Train Schedules - Best info and ticketing

ciaojock

Looking for Italy train schedules, and methods to purchase point-to-point train travel. We're looking at four to five trips, at least four high-speed. Does the pass get you the high speed trains? (I think not)
It appears that there are various companies for the actual travel, and other aggregators.
Which are the best sources for information?
Grazi,

I would suggest you go direct to the train company - Trenitalia and check schedules and cost there. Website is https://www.trenitalia.com/

The only other competitor for long distance travel (joining main cities across Italy) is Italo, so also check there to compare costs for the same cities: https://www.italotreno.it/en

When are you planning to travel? I ask because Trenitalia does not let you buy tickets far ahead, just about 2 months prior. So schedules for say November might not show up because of that, just put dates for a few weeks ahead of now to see them.

Hi Traveling Alone

I would suggest you go direct to the train company - Trenitalia and check schedules and cost there. Website is https://www.trenitalia.com/

The only other competitor for long distance travel (joining main cities across Italy) is Italo, so also check there to compare costs for the same cities: https://www.italotreno.it/en

When are you planning to travel? I ask because Trenitalia does not let you buy tickets far ahead, just about 2 months prior. So schedules for say November might not show up because of that, just put dates for a few weeks ahead of now to see them.

Hi there Lourdes, can we connect by email? I'm traveling to porto ercole alone and want to visit the thermal spas. I wont have a car...

Hello Discover Tuscany.....
Looking for advice on train travel.....into and out of Siena. We are coming to Siena on June 19, staying until the morning of June 22, 2024.

This I know .... I think I know? From Rome.....I can take a high speed train from Roma Termini to Chiusi? then a regional train to Siena? Or do I take a high speed train from Roma Termini to Firenze SM Novella? then a regional train from Firenze to Siena? Which would be better?

I also know Trentalia has NOT released schedules yet for June. Not sure when?

Now....leaving Siena......I have a challenge......We are going from Siena.....to our next destination of Lake Como....staying in Como.
I'm assuming regional back up to Firenze SM.....then what? High Speed from Firenze to Milan? then regional from Milan to Como?

Any and all suggestions please!

Michael

PS Do the regional trains I speak of have names? Or can I book these through Trentalia? Or another app? Also, please talk to me about "validating tickets".....horror stories about tourist forgetting to validate and big fines!

Trenitalia generally releases schedules 2 months out, so for June they should be coming soon. Check around April 19 or 22, considering those are around your travel dates.

You can still use schedules to check what is available in mid June - check how long the train rides are, the places where you might have to transfer.
KM-wise, it might be less distance to take train to Chiusi and then either train or bus to Siena.... if you can find a train that works for you. Time-wise, there might be more trains available to Florence, which might make total travel time shorter. It really depends! You might also consider taking bus the whole way - there is Flixbus that has affordable bus rides. It might actually take less time to take Flixbus straight, rather than going around to the north to Florence and waiting for train connections to head back down to Siena.

As far as getting to Lake Como, yes, you will need to take either bus or train to Florence, take train to Milan and from there a regional train to Lake Como.

As far as tickets go, you can download the Trenitalia app and buy your tickets on the app. It will remind you to check in and "validate" directly on the app so it makes train travel easier. All other websites buy tickets from Trenitalia and resell them, so it is the same trains.
The fast trains are called "frecciarossa" or "frecciargento" while all the slower trains are either Intercity (IC) or regionale (regional, slower trains but that's because they make lots of stops to serve more towns along the lines).

You can always buy paper tickets - look for the yellow machines near the train tracks and stick the ticket in them, they print out date and time on them to show you are validating them for use. This is more important for the regional tickets, since tickets are sold generic without a date or time on them, they can be bought today and used on any train whenever you want, within two months of issuance. That's where the date and time stamp on them is important, to show you've used it for a specific trip (and can't be reused every day). For the fast trains, you get sold a specific date and time train, with assigned seat so validating them has remained a necessity of travel although they can't be used on another train. The validation shows you used the ticket, so can't claim that you missed the train and need to catch the next one. If you do miss your train, or know you won't be using it, depending on the ticket you can ask for a train change BEFORE the time of travel. Depends on the type of ticket you buy. You will see conditions of the fare you buy once you're ready to buy tickets. You can browse and pretend to buy a ticket on the trenitalia website and see what you find.

Hope this info helps! Let me know if I can help with anything else.

For high-speed trains in Italy, skip the passes and go for point-to-point tickets. Check out Trenitalia and Italo for bookings. Also, Rome2rio and Trainline are good for comparing options.

Trenitalia generally releases schedules 2 months out, so for June they should be coming soon. Check around April 19 or 22, considering those are around your travel dates.

You can still use schedules to check what is available in mid June - check how long the train rides are, the places where you might have to transfer.
KM-wise, it might be less distance to take train to Chiusi and then either train or bus to Siena.... if you can find a train that works for you. Time-wise, there might be more trains available to Florence, which might make total travel time shorter. It really depends! You might also consider taking bus the whole way - there is Flixbus that has affordable bus rides. It might actually take less time to take Flixbus straight, rather than going around to the north to Florence and waiting for train connections to head back down to Siena.

As far as getting to Lake Como, yes, you will need to take either bus or train to Florence, take train to Milan and from there a regional train to Lake Como.

As far as tickets go, you can download the Trenitalia app and buy your tickets on the app. It will remind you to check in and "validate" directly on the app so it makes train travel easier. All other websites buy tickets from Trenitalia and resell them, so it is the same trains.
The fast trains are called "frecciarossa" or "frecciargento" while all the slower trains are either Intercity (IC) or regionale (regional, slower trains but that's because they make lots of stops to serve more towns along the lines).

You can always buy paper tickets - look for the yellow machines near the train tracks and stick the ticket in them, they print out date and time on them to show you are validating them for use. This is more important for the regional tickets, since tickets are sold generic without a date or time on them, they can be bought today and used on any train whenever you want, within two months of issuance. That's where the date and time stamp on them is important, to show you've used it for a specific trip (and can't be reused every day). For the fast trains, you get sold a specific date and time train, with assigned seat so validating them has remained a necessity of travel although they can't be used on another train. The validation shows you used the ticket, so can't claim that you missed the train and need to catch the next one. If you do miss your train, or know you won't be using it, depending on the ticket you can ask for a train change BEFORE the time of travel. Depends on the type of ticket you buy. You will see conditions of the fare you buy once you're ready to buy tickets. You can browse and pretend to buy a ticket on the trenitalia website and see what you find.

Ciao Lourdes, This is a very useful information about the apps to purchase trains and buses tickets. I downloaded in my phone the Trenitalia (the app color is red) and I also downloaded the app Trainline (green color) I am spending 9 nights in Florence late July 2024, to have a taste of Tuscany during summer. Your input is always appreciated. Margaret

Wow! Lots of info.....and alot to figure out! You mentioned 60 days out.....some have said train schedules available 90 days out....so that's where the confusion and frustration lie regarding buying tickets, or not being able to buy tickets! Again, was just trying to get this off my plate.....but I'll wait a few more days! Thanks!