Traveling in July to Tuscany

Paden

My wife and I are traveling in Tuscany starting July 2nd and heading to Rome on the 7th. We would like to stay in one place and do day trips. We love great wine and food. We are boggled by the things to see and do. Any suggestions would be appreciated. We are doers. we love to get out and experience. Should we get a place and just do day trips or should we move around?

stay put and rent a car to move around

Ciao Paden,

If this is the first time you're in Tuscany, as lovers of great wine and food your 5 days will fly by!!

Where do you fly in to? Have you already decided whether you'll rent a car?

Since you're interested in day trips, my recommendation would be this: stay put in one place the whole time, preferably in the countryside in a central area which is basically anywhere in the area between Florence and Siena - in Chianti wine area if you prefer - rent a car and plan a day trip for each day. One day in Chianti, one in Florence, one in Siena, and the last two you decide while you're here where you'd like to head - for example, some ideas would be San Gimignano and Volterra or Pisa and Lucca. Lots of good wines and delicious food on all those days :)

Here are some more ideas of what you can do with 5 days in Tuscany. Most of all, remain flexible on your day to day plans and you'll have a wonderful time in Italy!

This is our first time in Tuscany. We are flying into Venice and will have a couple days there. We have a sea kayaking trip planned and then another day in Venice. We will travel by rail to Florence and spend a night and part of a day there, we have both been to Florence before. We will rent a car and head into tuscany. We love to do wine tours and experience the culture and food. We will head to Siena for a half or full day. There is so many hill top towns to see. thank you for the suggestions. We are trying to find the place to stay now. Since we are going in the high season I wanted to book as soon as possible. Any thoughts on unique things to do,try or see? talk to you soon thanks again Rob Paden

Ciao!

Sounds like you already have a very good idea of what you plan to do and see both in Venice and in Tuscany.

You're right, since it will be the high season you should look into booking accommodation as soon as possible. During high season, many apartments out in the countryside book by the week and not by days so you will have to look into those that do offer shorter stays and hotels and B&Bs. In Tuscany there are many villas turned into small hotels or B&Bs that you should focus on. For example, how about this villa in Chianti or this small B&B in the center of the medieval hamlet of San Donato? If you would like the convenience of an apartment, I believe this resort near San Gimignano might offer stays of less than a week but I am not positive.

You could look into having a Tuscany cooking class at your place if you do get an apartment, it is really convenient having them come to you where you are.
Since you'll have a car, for wine tasting you could drive along the roads between Greve, Panzano and Radda and fine several wineries that offer tastings and tours. If you do a search for "chianti wine" on this forum, you'll find several thread that suggest specific wineries where you can also book meals along with the tastings and tours.

Definitely head to the area south of Siena called Crete Senesi and Valdorcia - magnificent landscapes and also wine region around Montalcino and Montepulciano. Many "enoteca" offer wine tastings and light lunches or dinners to go along with splendid local wines :)

Last edited by a moderator:
July in Tuscany

We are fling in to Venice o the 29th and spending a couple of days there. We are sea kayaking for a day around venice and then we take the train to Florence for a night there. We will rent a car in Florence and drive into the chianti region and will be there from 2 to the 7th and then down to rome. In chianti we found a place called Fagiolari. Have you ever stayed there? We want to make this a home base and travel out each day from there. Thanks Rob

Renting a car

Yes we are renting a car. We are flying into Venice and will have a couple days there. We are sea kayaking in venice for a day and the next day just hanging out. We will take the train to Florence and spend a day there and then rent a car and we will stay at Fagiolari B & B from the 2nd of July to the 7th. We want to experience chianti as much as possible. We love off the beaten path places and new experiences. Any suggestions on that? ie off the beaten path villages or places to eat or wineries...... Thanks Rob