Florence - Lake Garda

AliceLondon

I am in Florence 10th-12th July and then travelling to Lake Garda for two nights. What is the best way to travel? I am on quite a tight budget as well!

travel by train

Where are you headed up to around Lake Garda? It is a large lake with many towns around it. Likely the best way to travel is by train but that depends on your destination around the lake... you might need a combination of train and bus.
You can check out train timetables at: www.trenitalia.com

Traveling from Florence to Lake Garda

Ciao AliceLondon and welcome to the forum!

The best and fastest way to travel from Florence to Lake Garda is by car, I suggest hiring a car while in Florence and head on directly to the Lake, it will take around 2 hours and half driving.
With a car you can move freely and visit all the lovely villages facing the lake, above all Sirmione.
For information on renting a car you may find this link useful: http://www.discovertuscany.com/tuscany-car-rental/

Of course, considering that you are on quite a tight budget, renting a car can be convenient only if you rent the car just for very few days, otherwise it's better moving by train.
From Florence's Santa Maria Novella train station you can take a train heading on to Desenzano or Peschiera del Garda train stations, both located along the southern cost of the Lake. While Rovereto is the train station on the northern coast of the lake. From Florence, however, you need to switch train either in Podova or in Bologna, and from there take the train to Desenzano or Peschiera del Garda.
The total journey will take about 3 hours. You can then reach by bus all the other main localities on the lake.
You can check train schedules as well as tickets' fares at this link: www.trenitalia.com

In case you need additional advice regarding accommodation or anything else, just post again:)

Have a nice day!