Day trip in Tuscany

Toddontour

We are looking for a day trip/tour from Florence that visits some of the smaller villages and wineries in the Chianti region of Tuscany. There seem to be a heap of tours that go to Pisa and San Gimignano but we really want a quieter, less 'packaged' day. A visit to a winery would be good, but my wife doesn't want to spend the whole day on a wine tour (how much wine can you drink in one day anyway??). So, we are looking for recommendations for a day in Tuscany, small group, something a little more personal than the coach tours. Any ideas?

Ciao Todd,

There are definitely tours available that are more of what you're looking for. The important thing is to get a tour that sets the right type of pace for your taste, which is to enjoy everything you see and do without feeling in a rush. Aside from the "Tuscany in a Day" tour that takes you all over the place (it also is a 12 hour tour), most tours in Tuscany are on "Italian" time so don't think you'll be rushing all over the place - you'll see lots, but calmly ;)

There are half-day wine tasting tours, as well as others that include lunch with local products including cold cuts and olive oils along with the local wines. Many include a visit to a local town in Chianti, such as Greve or Panzano, so you get both the winery tour, tastings and drive through the area.

Here is a list of some of the most popular tours in Chianti - you'll see there is also the option of private tours, if you want to make it a one-on-one special experience :)
If you don't see something that attracts you, let us know some more info on what you're looking for so that I can recommend something more specific.

Thanks Lourdes.:) We still haven't decided yet but must make up our minds soon. That link you posted took me to viatour, but I know there are a whole load more little tours out there. We are looking at a wine tour with 'Roberto' or the 'Slow day in Tuscany' neither of which I could find on viatour, but both seem to be a bit more personal, the sort of thing we are looking for.

Have you tried any of the tours in Tuscany Lourdes?

tours in Tuscany

Yes, there are many many tours out there and many specialize on one aspect or another - from general cultural and historical visit of the cities to more specific wine tasting tours. It totally depends on what you'd like to do. The link to Viator was to give you an idea of all the general tours out there - those tend to be a little on the less expensive side because they are group tours that run every day, generally about 15-20 people max but the size of the group really just depends on demand, the tour runs even if there is less than 10. Viator is an aggregator, so even a small tour led by a particular guide might be listed if they're working with Viator as partners. Here's a more complete list of tours in Tuscany.

I've personally done other tours, some that are no longer offered unfortunately, and a few from a small agency called Vinarium based in Florence which offers tours around wine and food. I haven't done the tours you mention above, they are likely offered directly by the guide who generally also drives you around in their car. As far as these go, make sure to ask whether they are licensed guides because that at least shows it isn't just someone who got the idea and who isn't covered by insurance to be taking people around in their personal car.