Visit Tuscany

NilNoz

Hi,

I am a new member, so do appreciate your assistance.
We are visiting Italy in August this year, and planning to arrive Rome and take a train to Florence. We plan to stay in Tuscanny region for 3 nights. The places we would like to see are city of Florence Pisa and cannot decide Siena chianti or Arezzo. Do you suggest we rent a car and visit each or is it easy to stay in Florence and then make day trips. thank you so much.

Ciao NilNoz,

Coming up from Rome, if you only have 3 nights total, I'd suggest you take the train to Florence and use that as your base for the whole 3 nights. You can spend a day seeing Florence, the second day going to Pisa and Lucca by train (both are to the west of Florence about an hour train ride) and the third day take the SITA bus from Florence to Siena and see that beautiful medieval town. All these can be seen and appreciated with train and buses without the need of renting a car.... Chianti is a beautiful wine region but to fully appreciate it you definitely need both a car and to travel through it slowly. Given your time is limited, I think you'll do fine with the proposed itinerary!!
Arezzo is also beautiful and quite small so can also be seen but I'd suggest it on your way up from Rome since you pass through it to get to Florence. If you have that extra half day as you're heading north, I'd put it in, otherwise not this time..... maybe next time you come back! :D

Hope you're enjoying planning your trip!

more suggestions on Facebook!!

Are you on Facebook NilNoz? Because I posted your question on our page asking for more suggestions for you and there are several already on there offering ideas: Volterra, Lucca, Siena, San Gimignano and more.

If you can, go see the comments on our Discover Tuscany facebook page! :)

NilNoz,

I always recommend to stay in Firenze and visit local tuscan destinations by day trips because Firenze is well served with trains to Pisa and Lucca (go to www.trenitalia.com to see timetables and costs) and comfortable city bus to Siena. If you want to visit both Chianti and Siena in one day trip you can look for the many offers of Florence tour companies, they have many opportunities and options. When you contact a tour company feel free to ask all the options. Some tour companies operate personalized excursions with a few euro more. I do not recommend you to rent a car because usually it is expensive and foreign people are not aquainted with italian roads. Have a nice time in Tucany!!!