Traveling by car in Tuscany

ash47b

My wife & I will be in Florence in mid September. After spending two days there, we are renting a car and want to drive around Tuscany. We already have booked a hotel in Siena for four days and want to drive around to see the country side. We would like to do a one day trip to the Chianti region and the wine country, one day trip to the sea side, and still don't know what else we should be doing. If you have any suggestions, we would appreciate it very much.

Hello Ash47b,
if I got it right, you are going to stay in Tuscany for a week, correct? 2 days in Florence and the rest in Siena travelling around the region..

Well, since you are in Siena, Chianti is definitively worth a visit and easy to do! I won't suggest you a town in particular, because the best thing to do in Chianti is just admire the landscape, taste some excellent Chianti wine and enjoy the atmosphere. And you can do it everywhere!

About the seaside... I would suggest you to head to Monte Argentario (1 hour and half from Siena), it offers transparent water and incredible landscape (I was there last week, it was fantastic :) ). The beach of Follonica is also really beautiful but if I had to choose I would absolutely go for Argentario!

Then, if you still got time to spend exploring Tuscany I suggest you to see:

- Montepulciano (1 hour from Siena), a lovely medieval village, which offers breathtaking landscapes and panoramas, close to other beautiful towns in Valdorcia: Pienza (the town of a prestigious sheep milk cheese) and San Quirico d'Orcia. They are very close to each other so you can visit 3 lovely places in one day!

- Arezzo (1 hour from Siena) another Tuscan pearl not to miss, plus Volterra and San Gimignano!

Hope it will be useful for your holiday!

Sara