Tuscany travel times between towns....summer time

Okietraveler

We will be renting a car in the summer staying 1 nt in Florence and 4 nts in Tuscany(most likely Agriturismo near Buonconvento) and I have heard that travel times are lengthy within Tuscany. We want to visit Saturnia and Talamone in Merrema one day. Also Pienza, thermal baths in Val D'Orcia somewhere or La Foce gardens.
I looked up the times and directions on the Michelin site and it looks like all within an hour to hour 1/2. Is that accurate. Keeping in mind our bas would be in Buonconvento area. Note: we will also be visiting Chianti and San Gimignano for a day too is time allows. Thank you for your advice!!!

travel times between some areas

Ciao Okietravelere,

Well, Tuscany is a whole region so it does take time if you wanted to cross it all at one time..... luckily, many of the top visited areas are concentrated in this large circular area between Florence and Siena and that is about 1 hour car ride with all of Chianti falling in between.

Since you're planning to stay to the south of Siena, your "circle" is a little bit further down which includes all of the Val d'Orcia.... from Buonconvento, Pienza, the thermal areas in Val d'Orcia or La Foce, Montepulciano are all within an hour car ride, definitely doable. San Gimignano and Chianti wine region are also within an hour ride, with your own driving aroung the area being part of the fun of seeing the region and getting good views.

Saturnia and Talamone in Maremma are the only ones that are a bit further away and will take more planning.... you essentially have a mountain (the Amiata) in the middle between the Val d'Orcia and Maremma so the roads make you either go from Siena toward Grosseto and then south or south toward the mountain and over it, or south around it....

We've taken the road from Montalcino south towards Cinigiano and this is a beautiful panoramic, mountain road.....
I see Google maps says between Buonconvento and Saturnia it is 1hr and 40 min and makes you go through Arcidosso... I am not too sure about that timing, and if they really take the roads into consideration. Arcidosso is on Monte Amiata, they are nice roads but you aren't doing 70-90 kph on these roads.

Maremma is a large area, the roads once you're there do tend to be straighter which means higher speeds but pretty much from Montalcino until you're in Semproniano you're in the mountains/hills.

My personal recommendation is this: if your time is limited, take the bigger road between Siena and Grosseto (E78/SS223) to drive faster. If you have a chance, take the mountain road for a more panoramic, leisurely drive.... in any case, plan for at least 2-2.5 hr drive.

Or how about leaving this to the last day and stay in Maremma rather than drive back to Buonconvento?

Re: travel times between some areas

Ciao Okietravelere,

Well, Tuscany is a whole region so it does take time if you wanted to cross it all at one time..... luckily, many of the top visited areas are concentrated in this large circular area between Florence and Siena and that is about 1 hour car ride with all of Chianti falling in between.

Since you're planning to stay to the south of Siena, your "circle" is a little bit further down which includes all of the Val d'Orcia.... from Buonconvento, Pienza, the thermal areas in Val d'Orcia or La Foce, Montepulciano are all within an hour car ride, definitely doable. San Gimignano and Chianti wine region are also within an hour ride, with your own driving aroung the area being part of the fun of seeing the region and getting good views.

Saturnia and Talamone in Maremma are the only ones that are a bit further away and will take more planning.... you essentially have a mountain (the Amiata) in the middle between the Val d'Orcia and Maremma so the roads make you either go from Siena toward Grosseto and then south or south toward the mountain and over it, or south around it....

We've taken the road from Montalcino south towards Cinigiano and this is a beautiful panoramic, mountain road.....
I see Google maps says between Buonconvento and Saturnia it is 1hr and 40 min and makes you go through Arcidosso... I am not too sure about that timing, and if they really take the roads into consideration. Arcidosso is on Monte Amiata, they are nice roads but you aren't doing 70-90 kph on these roads.

Maremma is a large area, the roads once you're there do tend to be straighter which means higher speeds but pretty much from Montalcino until you're in Semproniano you're in the mountains/hills.

My personal recommendation is this: if your time is limited, take the bigger road between Siena and Grosseto (E78/SS223) to drive faster. If you have a chance, take the mountain road for a more panoramic, leisurely drive.... in any case, plan for at least 2-2.5 hr drive.

Or how about leaving this to the last day and stay in Maremma rather than drive back to Buonconvento?

Lourdes,

GRAZIE for your advice! I am glad to have the information on traveling to Merrema. We will most likely take your advice and go the Grosetto route. We are looking for a leisurely scenic day and love to see areas most tourists don't travel to. I appreciate your help.
Okie Traveler:D