Parking in Florence or taking the bus

Emma B

I am staying in Florence in a B&B which is in the outskirts. I have rented a car for my trip to Italy. I am told that there is a bus #35 that is close to my B&B. Does anyone know how I can get the bus schedule? Or is it easier to part my car in a paid parking garage in Florence? Does any one know if parking is safe there? We will have our suitcases in the car. I am reading travel books saying that theft is common for rented cars.

Thanks,

Florence is safe but still don't keep luggage in a parked car is you can avoid it

Ciao Emma,

Well first things first: ask your B&B where they recommend you leave your car, maybe they themselves offer parking since they are in the outskirts! But how far out?

Florence is a pretty safe city so you can definitely feel comfortable in parking your car rental along the streets, especially if your B&B is in a residential area - everyone else does, residents included!
However, please do NOT leave luggage in your car, unload it and keep it in your B&B while you are in Florence. Private garages in Florence can get expensive, so definitely ask your B&B what they recommend in the area where you'll be staying at.... you don't need to use the car while in Florence, better to move around with buses.

Here is some more info on moving in Florence by bus where you'll also find a link to the official ATAF website where you can find up-to-date timetables.

Parking outside ZTL in Florence

Hi,
I am staying in an apartment just outside of the ZTL. My friend will be using his car to drive us to our destinations. He is a resident of Florence. I understand that residents can park in the white spots for free. Does this mean that he has to be a resident of that zona or just a resident of Florence. He is being so helpful I don't want to incur any more expenses for him then is necessary.
Grazie mille.

Ciao Jo V,

If your friend lives here, he likely has a parking permit for residents. The permits are set up by zones which are rings with the center at its heart. So he could very well have a permit that lets him park in other parts of the city that still fall within the same zone, even if he doesn't live there. I am sure he will know whether his permit covers the area where you will be staying so if he's not worried, I don't think you should be!

I am sure you will have a great time in Florence - how long will you be here?