10 nights in Tuscany

Subrina

We're arriving at the airport in Pisa, and the plan right now is to take the bus to Lucca for 1 night. We'll then take the train to Florence for 2 nights, then a train to Siena for 2 nights (during that time we'll visit Volterra and San Gimignano). Next, we'll rent a car and drive down to Montepulciano for 4 nights, and visit the hill town area. We'll then head back to Siena to drop off the car, and then take bus or train to Pisa for our last night so we're close to the airport.

Any thoughts/advice on this plan?

Thank You!

Ciao Subrina,

The plan sounds very good! You're doing a good combination of public transportation for the areas that don't need a car and the car is definitely required for the area south of Siena. Do make sure to visit Siena itself, not spend both days out ;-)
If anything, I'd suggest maybe 3 nights in Siena and then 3 nights in Montepulciano to give you time to see San Gimignano, Volterra, Siena and maybe even nearby Monteriggioni without being in a hurry.

Once you're in Montepulciano, visit Montalcino, the Abbey of Sant'Antimo, San Quirico, Asciano, Cortona, Lucignano or even Castiglion Fiorentino. Arezzo is a little bit further away but I'd also recommend it, I love it since it has retained its quiet charm, with not that many visitors!