Tuscany by train

Arlene2

We are a group of women that want to travel around Tuscany by train, starting from the airport. 7 days, 6 nights. Preferably staying in B&B's near train stations and seeing as many cities as we can.
Any suggestions from the Tuscany Experts?

Ciao Arlene2,

Do you arrive into Florence or Pisa? From either, you can use bus or train to get into the centers of both towns and then travel around the area. Your choices might be limited to the larger towns trains reach, but you will still be able to see a lot!

You should dedicate at least 2 full days to Florence, at the very least. The center is small so you can stay pretty much anywhere in the center and still be walking distance from the train station. But depending on luggage, you might want to stay closer or catch a taxi if the suitcases start getting heavy ;-).

You could also base your entire week in Florence itself since many trains depart from here... so you can do day trips to places rather than pack up and carry luggage. Another option is just divide your week in two, with 4 days in Florence and 3 days in Siena, using that as a base from which to go to San Gimignano and even Monteriggioni (by bus on the way to San Gimignano). Arezzo is actually easier to visit from Florence rather than from Siena, just because of train schedules.

Either way, these are the places I'd recommend visiting during your week, in addition to Florence:
- Pisa and Lucca - you could do a day trip from Florence as they are both west of Florence, you could do one in the morning and the other in the afternoon. Or go to Pisa in the morning, then head to Lucca for the rest of the day and spend the night there.
- Siena - can be reached by train but also by bus from Florence (bus drops you off closer to the center).
- San Gimignano - take train or bus to Poggibonsi and then take bus to San Gimignano
- Arezzo - beautiful town and very easy to get to by train from Florence.

How does it sound?

Sounds like a plan

Ciao Lourdes,

This sounds like a good plan. We are starting to give a group some shape for this, trying to keep costs as low as possible.

Do you work as a tour operator? or could you help us with the coordination of some things as the date approaches? Let us know what your honorarium could be, and what would be the best way to keep in contact with you for the details.

Regards, Arlene

Ciao Arlene2,

Do you arrive into Florence or Pisa? From either, you can use bus or train to get into the centers of both towns and then travel around the area. Your choices might be limited to the larger towns trains reach, but you will still be able to see a lot!

You should dedicate at least 2 full days to Florence, at the very least. The center is small so you can stay pretty much anywhere in the center and still be walking distance from the train station. But depending on luggage, you might want to stay closer or catch a taxi if the suitcases start getting heavy ;-).

You could also base your entire week in Florence itself since many trains depart from here... so you can do day trips to places rather than pack up and carry luggage. Another option is just divide your week in two, with 4 days in Florence and 3 days in Siena, using that as a base from which to go to San Gimignano and even Monteriggioni (by bus on the way to San Gimignano). Arezzo is actually easier to visit from Florence rather than from Siena, just because of train schedules.

Either way, these are the places I'd recommend visiting during your week, in addition to Florence:
- Pisa and Lucca - you could do a day trip from Florence as they are both west of Florence, you could do one in the morning and the other in the afternoon. Or go to Pisa in the morning, then head to Lucca for the rest of the day and spend the night there.
- Siena - can be reached by train but also by bus from Florence (bus drops you off closer to the center).
- San Gimignano - take train or bus to Poggibonsi and then take bus to San Gimignano
- Arezzo - beautiful town and very easy to get to by train from Florence.

How does it sound?

Hi Arlene,

Glad my suggestions can be useful! Sorry but I am not a tour guide and therefore cannot help with organizing trip in that sense, I just offer suggestions and tips based on my own experiences here in Florence and Tuscany on this website and forum!

If you're looking for a tour guide, you could contact Elena - she's awesome! You can find her contact info at the bottom of this page on the Davanzati museum she wrote a review of.