Car rental: pick up/drop off in different location

Heatfenn

My husband and I are planning to visit Tuscany on a trip in September 2014. For the majority of our time in Italy, we will be using the trains, however we're realizing that a rental car would be advantageous for touring the smaller towns. We were interested in possibly renting a car in Florence, and then taking a few days to drive through some of the smaller towns (Pienza,etc) and eventually continuing our drive to Sorrento or Naples, where we would then drop off the car. We live in Canada and are used to long drives :) My question is...if we rent in Florence, but return the car in the Sorrento/Naples, will we be hit with a big bill? I can't seem to find price quotes for different drop off locations online.

Definitely agree that train is great for moving between major towns, but car is necessary to see the smaller towns, particularly in Tuscany. Chianti and Val d'Orcia are just two areas that need to be explored by car as no trains pass through them and bus service is not great in terms of schedules.

You can definitely rent in Florence and drop off the car in Naples or Sorrento without paying much extra.

Start with the search box on here: http://www.discovertuscany.com/tuscany-car-rental/car-hire-in-tuscany.html
with basic info and once you're on the next page, you can change the drop off location.
I did several tests with dates and locations and didn't see rates change dramatically. I saw an extra US$30 added on for a trial test between drop off in Florence vs. in Sorrento or Naples.

I recommend starting with a site like this that let's you search multiple of the major companies at once to see various options. I've used it to also then check rates directly at the major companies, I've found this to always offer better rates.

Am sure you'll have a great trip, if you have any other questions feel free to ask!

Disclaimer: our site has that affiliate link to rentalcars.com and will receive a small commission if you end up using them - a small way to support our site!