4 days in Pisa

Annlen

Hi,

I am travelling to Pisa for 5 days (4 nights) with my husband and 17 year old son. We would not be renting a car, so we have to rely on public transport. We have booked a flat in Pisa, so that is our base. We would like to see as much of Tuscany as possible. We'd like to visit Florence for a day and Cinque Terre, which would take another whole day. Since we arrive on Tues 22nd at 16:00 hrs we think that that would give us enough time to go around Pisa. On Saturday we leave at 20:00, so we were planning to visit Lucca that morning. That leaves us a free day so to speak, can you please suggest a place where to go which is not as far away as Siena? Because to get from Pisa to Siena and back, according to the little research I did, it will take us 4 hours (in total ) of travelling, which takes up most of the day.

Thank you

Ciao!

Yes, Pisa is closer to the coast than to the central part of Tuscany and it wouldn't be that far with your own means of transport... but with train or bus, you have to do changes in Florence (or Empoli) which make the whole trip take longer.

In addition to your plans of visiting Lucca, Florence and CT, I'd suggest to stay closer to Pisa and move around with bus and train - would you like a day at the beach too? CT is beautiful but there are no "sandy" beaches aside from Monterosso, and you should really spend time at each of the 5 towns.
For beach time, you could take a bus toward Tirrenia and enjoy the sandy beaches there.
Another day trip from Pisa is to head to Viareggio, also for the sea, but get there by train.
You could also head to Livorno, for a day trip there - visit the Medici fortress and historical center.
Another possible day trip by train - San Miniato Alto.

Hi

Thank you so much for your help. I will look into San Miniato Alto, as we are not really interested in beaches since we have quite a lot of those at home. Someone also suggested Barga, do you recommend that?

I'd like you opinion about something else please. We have been told that Pisa is not a nice place to stay and I was thinking about finding another place to stay as our base. Where do you suggest please or is Pisa ok for a base?

Thanks once again

There are more buses to Siena from Pisa, passing through Florence - see the schedules here:
http://www.tiemmespa.it/index.php/Viaggia-con-noi/Altri-servizi/Lunga-percorrenza/Siena-Firenze-Pisa

Barga is quite charming but quite small and not as easy to get to without your own car.

Pisa is quite a nice city, but it is mostly a college town. It is quite alive in the summer, a bit more quiet on the off-season when students come back. If you stay centrally, you will find you can enjoy the evenings out. So I think you don't have to change your base unless you really want to for other reasons!