Suggested route from Florence to Val D'Orcia area??

andym112071

Hi,

We plan on renting a car from Florence and want to visit MONTEPULCIANO, MONTALCINO & PIENZA areas.
We will go the Chianti and Sienna area another day. So we do not have to pass those areas.

So can anyone recommend a good route/iternary from Florence to MONTEPULCIANO, MONTALCINO & PIENZA areas?

Any recommendation will be greatly appreciated.

On a separate question, we are staying at Hotel Globus. Sounds like we should rent the car outside of the ZTL zone from reading through a couple of other threads. We want to rent the car just one day to go to the Val D'Orcia areas.

Thank you

Florence to Val d'Orcia

I have travelled that route many times for work, and my experience to catch the A1 highway down to Montepulciano and then from there begin your travels into the panormaic Val d'Orcia area. It is a pay highway - but it is also a fast route to Montepulciano.

From Montepulciano you can follow the road signs which will send you towards Pienza, Bagno Vignone e Montalcino. The scenery is excellent and depending on the time of the year Bagno Vignone has a public pool which can make a great rest stop! Not to mention some quaint little restaurants.

It's a lot of driving, so pace yourself because each and everyone of these stops could entertain you for the entire day. From Montalcino I wouldn't suggest back tracking but heading up towards Siena and then taking the road Siena - Florence back home. So you would do a big circle.

Buon Viaggio.