1 day car trip around tuscnay (from Florence)

TJmom

We are picking up car in florence city central at 8 am and will return it by 6:30 (closes at 7).
We want to experience the wonderful Tuscan countryside and scenery rather than spend time at any one destination. We do not mind driving most of the day as long as it is not too congested and there is beautiful scenery and sights to admire.
We will see Sinea using public transport so that does dot need to be part of this itinerary.
So far I am planning -
take SS2 (same as SR222?) through Chianti to Volpaia, asciano, continue to Pienza, montecchielo, san quirico, quirico, montalicino, castello di celsa, monteriggioni and back to Florence.

We will take a picnic along and would like to stop by somewhere scenic for the picnic. Planning to stop at castello di celsa to walk about the castle. Other places mainly for route planning (supposed to be scenic drives??)
Which would be good places for picnic and also to get out and walk about? According to google maps, this is about 360 km and 6 1/2 hrs which would leave us about 4 hours to walk about (car rental time 10 hrs).

Also after much search I found that from Borgo Ognissanti, we make left on via cuartano, left amerigo vespucci, right on Vespucci bridge to avoid getting fine in ZTL.
Similarly when returning car, come on Vespucci bridge, continue on via di melaginano, left on borgo ognissanti.

Does that work?

Thanks

car trip

Hello -

you have certainly picked some lovely places to visit. I would suggest a picnic at Pienza, even within the city walls there are lots of areas to sit along the panoramic terrace - and you really don't have to pack a lunch: Pienza is famous for is wonderful cheese and there are lots of little shops where you can taste test and choose something to snack on. Montereggioni also offers many grassy areas with shade from the olive trees and the views are inspiring within the city walls - but that is later on your schedule and perhaps too long to wait to eat!

I would note that you are covering a lot of km, and most of them on curvy, small and many times very slow secondary roads - so you should calculate that it might be a bit more time on the road than you think. Also remember to allow for the fact that you will be attempting to get the car out of Florence and back during "rush hour" so leave yourself some extra time.

Buon Viaggio