Car, bus or train?

Babs

Ciao!

My husband and I are arriving in Florence March, 2015. We will spend one night in Florence. We want to do 2 days in Cortona, 2 days in Asisi, and 2 days in Montepulciano. Then we will be joining our family at a farmhouse in Colmurano, in the LeMarche region.

Both my husband and I are worried about the stress of renting a car and driving. However, I don't know which will be more stressful: renting a car OR making train/bus connections to these three town and then to the farmhouse.

Grazie!

Babs

Dear Bubs,
I agree with you when you say that driving is stressful, especially when you're on holidays and would like to just relax and enjoy the locations!
Actually, however, this area of Tuscany is not very well-connected by public transport and you risk to spend most of your short time in trains or buses connections, so... I'd rather rent a car for your planned tour.
I would leave bus service apart, which is limited and more difficult to organize for your trips. Have a look at trenitalia website (English version available): you'll see that train time trips are much longer than car ones: since you don't have so much time at your disposal to spend in Tuscany, I'd prefer touring than waiting for public transport, especially if your arrival destination is a farmhouse in the countryside.
Take a look at this page for some information and suggestions about renting a car here in Tuscany:
http://www.discovertuscany.com/tuscany-car-rental/

Hope it may help :)

Chiara

stress and the Italian roads

Hello -

having to drive in a new place sure can test your stress level :)

however I can offer that the areas you have chosen are also easily accessible with major roads which are probably a little less stressful than the secondary curvy country roads.

From Florence you can catch the main highway to Montepulciano, where you will have just a few minutes on a secondary road with lovely views. Here you will need to research your parking options, check with the hotel first.

From here to Cortona, secondary roads are rather calm and relaxing. The roads are not super narrow and there are some great views that will compensate for any harrowing encounters.

From Cortona to Assisi there is a short distance to cover on a secondary road (pretty much you are back tracking a bit towards Montepulciano) and then it is a major highway out to Assisi.

You can look into public transport, but as Chiara mentioned it will eat into you time to explore and enjoy. These towns are well indicated by road signs and the roads in this area are in good condition - the hardest part will be simply getting out of Florence!

Buon Viagggio.

Drive or public transport

Hello,

Tuscany is a small region and you can easily move from one part to another in a matter of hours. Public transport in Italy is really good but it doesn't give you as much flexibility as renting a car. With a car you can decide when and where to go and you can also enjoy some of the multiple scenic routes that you will find in the region.

I hope this can help you. It helped me when I travelled to Tuscany this summer.

Enjoy!

Ciao!

My husband and I are arriving in Florence March, 2015. We will spend one night in Florence. We want to do 2 days in Cortona, 2 days in Asisi, and 2 days in Montepulciano. Then we will be joining our family at a farmhouse in Colmurano, in the LeMarche region.

Both my husband and I are worried about the stress of renting a car and driving. However, I don't know which will be more stressful: renting a car OR making train/bus connections to these three town and then to the farmhouse.

Grazie!

Babs

Enjoy your holiday with your hubby! Please post which transpo is easier. Planning to visit as well.