Train Siena - San Gimignano?

hejo2015

Sorry,

I posted my question first in wrong section of this forum. Let's try again here:

last spring we (my husband and I) were hiking in Tuscany and delighted so much with San Gimignano (had only one hour there )

In the end of March we'll travelling again in Italy and then we'll live one week in Siena. Is it possible to go to San Gimignano by train or by bus from Siena? If there must change trains, where? And should we book the tickets beforehand?

I'd be pleased if someone can give an information about the public transport timetables in Siena area as well. Thanks and nice day to all of you!

Ciao hejo2015!

How much hiking did you do in Tuscany? which areas were your favorites? we also love to go hiking, and really want to make some routes to add to the site - we will get there eventually ;)

As far as getting to San Gimignano from Siena - most definitely you can get there from Siena, more easily by bus rather than train.
This page has all you need, plus a link to the bus timetables at the end:
http://www.discovertuscany.com/san-gimignano/how-to-reach-san-gimignano.html
the timetable is a huge pdf that includes ALL of the bus lines from Siena to the surroundings. If you go to the main page of that site, you can also see timetables for the city as well.

The train station in Siena is a bit further from the center, but of course if you stay near it then it could be convenient to use it as well. Just know that the train goes to Poggibonsi, then you would still need to catch a bus. Again, that page above has all the info ;-)

Enjoy the planning!

Many thanks Lourdes,

maybe it is best to take a bus directly from Siena. Our friends are planning to be in Florence at the same time, and they will rent a car - so maybe we can convince them that San Gimignano is The Place Number One in the whole Tuscany and we'll have a lift :)

Well, last spring, in the beginning of March, we had our first trip to Italy, and walked about 120 km in Tuscany, along the old pilgrimage route Via Francigena. We were in the group of 12 people, arranged by a Finnish travel bureau. In the first day we walked from San Gimignano to Monteriggioni (33 km), in the second one from Monteriggioni to Siena (over 30 km), then to Isola d'Arbia and Monteroni d'Arbia (where our hotel was a medieval castle!). We also walked through San Lorenzo Nuovo, Bolsena, Capranica and Sutri in Lazio, and ended to Rome, were my husband and I had a long weekend (the other group returned almost immediately to Finland).

This wandering was one of the best trips we had done - churches, castles, art, flowers, great views, good food... Now I had studied some Italian (just enough for reading menus and asking coffee and so on :) ) and we are planning to go to Florence, Siena and Assisi (and in San Gimignano of course!). So much to see, so little time...

Many thanks for your help!
Helena

Sounds like you did a wonderful trip along the Via Francigena and did a lot of walking! Walking is indeed one of the best ways to enjoy all of the beauty of Tuscany :)
Getting to San Gimignano should not be difficult, bus all the way easier as times are coordinated if you still need a bus change in Poggibonsi (but often you don't). And you can always get a ride back from your friends, they definitely need to go out there too!
I highly recommend staying the whole day there and going up the Torre Grossa and going into the cathedral, as a minimum. Then wander around the whole town, and up to the remains of the castle at the very top ;)