Driving day trip.. help

atown41051

Hello! We are traveling to Florence in a few weeks and plan on renting a car from Florence and driving through the Chianti region to Siena and back. We plan on using just one day to do so, but possibly two. The towns we are interested in seeing are: Greve, Panzano, Castellina, Monteriggini, Pienza, San Quirico, Montepulciano, Siena and San Gimignano. What order would you visit these in for driving purposes? We are thinking of driving a loop from Florence if this is possible? What are the must see towns? Any I may be missing? I know for sure we want to go to Montepulciano, Siena and San Gimignano. What is the best route to drive? Any suggestions on what exactly to see if these towns as well? We just want to spend the day seeing the countryside, exploring the towns, tasting wine and eating! Looking forward to your suggestions!!!

Two Days Driving

Buongiorno -

to do all those towns you should calculate two days (minimum!)

your first day can have you taking the Chiantigiana, the road that winds through Chianti from Florence to Siena, where you can visit Greve, drive through Panzano, lunch in Giaole - maybe in even a vineyard

http://roccadicastagnoli.com/sito/frontend/2eng/wineshop_design.php

drive through Radda & Castellina before ending up in Siena.

You could visit Siena at night (spectacular with the lights in the main square) and then walk around a bit in the morning before taking the car to Pienza and Montepulciano - from there you would take the main highway back to Florence

or from Siena you can drive to Monteriggioni and San Gimignano before returning to Florence.

However, I don't think it is possible to do both Montepulciano/Pienza and Monteriggioni/San Gimignano in one day because they are in two opposite directions. The second option will give you less driving time and more time in Siena.

Buon Viaggio

2 days it is...

So we decided to go ahead and spend the night in Sienna. That said, which direction should we head first to visit most of the locations? We will spend the night in Sienna and hit San Gimignano on the way back to Florence, this is possible correct? Which other towns will be on that same route back?

your route

I think that is a wise choice, with two days you will feel less stressed and be able to enjoy the journey

If you want to return to Florence via S.Gimignano then maybe the first day you can take the Autostrada di Sole - the main highway and head all the way down to Montepulciano. From here you can work your way over to Siena by visiting Montepulciano, Pienza & Montalcino

Then when you leave Siena you can go through Monteriggioni, San Gimignano - maybe even Certaldo before entering into Florence. You will find that as you work this itinerary you will see much of the classical Tuscan landscape including the small hill top hamlets and vineyards.

Buon Viaggio.