9 days in Italy

jerrineseah

Dear all,

I would like some advice on my 9 days trip in Italy. I would be reaching Milan early morning on day 1, and i am intending to take a direct train to Florence and use Florence as my base to visit a couple places. My plan is to stay 5 days in Florence, hoping to use 1 day to visit Lucca & Pisa, 1 day for Chianti Wine tasting, 1 day for San Gimignano. I am hoping to join tour for the Chianti wine tasting, and probably use the tour service for the San Gimignano trip. Is there any direct train or bus that i can take to San Gimignano from Florence if i do not use the tour services? I am not planning to drive, so would need to take public transport or tour service. As for Lucca and Pisa, I would take the train and explore the places myself. Can I assume that it is easy to get to Lucca and Pisa by train service?

I would use the last 2 days just to walk around Florence.

Then I am hoping to visit Venice, however heard that accomodation can be really expensive there. As my flight departs from Milan, and I would be staying in Milan, should i use Milan as base and take a day trip to Venice?

I am hoping to spend the rest 4 days in Milan, probably use 1 day to visit Cinque Terre and another day trip to Venice. For venice and cinque terre, is it necessary to use tour service or can i easily take train there to explore?

Lastly, i am hoping to visit to visit Bologna as well, is there anyway i can squeeze it into my itinerary?

Thank you everyone for any advice.

Ciao Jerrineseah,

Yes, you can definitely get to Pisa and Lucca quite easily by train and walk around and explore on your own. San Gimignano is also doable without a tour service, read this article with details: http://www.discovertuscany.com/san-gimignano/how-to-reach-san-gimignano.html
Like you've already found out, a tour would be the best way to see Chianti when you don't have a car, there are many you can choose from here:
http://www.partner.viator.com/en/8357/travel-tips/Wine-Tasting-in-Chianti-and-Tuscany/ttd

You can definitely see Cinque Terre by train - I would recommend you head in that direction after you're done in Florence, and stay the night there, working your way back to Milan, which you can then use as a base to visit Venice.

If you want to fit in Bologna, how about doing it on the way from Milan down to Florence on that first day? Maybe spending the night there, then heading to Florence the next morning? That might mean one less night in Milan at the end, but it would prevent any back-tracking.

Dear Lourdes,

Thank you so much for your advice. Do you think I am packing everything too tight and being too ambitious? I have been told I have packed too many cities in and is not feasible. In your opinion, am I packing too much?
As for Venice, can I take a day trip out from milan? So I would only be staying in Milan and Florence and using this 2 as base to visit the nearby places. Appreciate any advice. Thank you

It could be a bit much - what I usually tell everyone is to remain flexible and to slow down once you're here... don't go down a checklist just to check things off. If you're enjoying where you are, take your time and soak it in. Maybe you won't do something else but will remember what do did do in the end more. ;-) And it is a very good reason to then plan a return trip!