Itinerary Suggestions Driving Florence to Orvieto

Ellie

Hello Lourdes- I will be travelling with my husband and 2 young children and have 5 nights to spend around Tuscany after flying into Florence airport. I was planning on spending 3 nights in Florence with a day trip to Lucca and Pisa. After the 3rd night, I was hoping to hire a car and travel through the Chianti region staying somewhere for 2 nights which will allow me to visit the Val d'orcia area, Montelpulciano down through to Orvieto. I am so confused with so many options and am after some suggestions for places to visit along out driving route. Also, we need to take a train to Venice on the 6th day. Would we be better off making our way back to florence and catching a train back from there? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Suggestions for 2 days in Tuscan countryside

Hello I am not Lourdes but perhaps I can give you some suggestions too...
If you have only 2 days, I would either visit to the northern part of the province of Siena (so the wonderful Chianti area with its little villages, Monteriggioni, Colle Val d'Elsa, Casole d'Elsa and San Gimignano) or visit the southern part (Montalcino, Pienza, San Quirico d'Orcia, Montepulciano, Bagno Vignoni, the wonderful Abbey of Sant'Antimo...). Concerning the train back to Venice, it is certainly easier from Florence than from Siena or Orvieto.

Orvieto

Buongiorno,

I agree with Pro Loco Sovicille about catching the train in Florence, faster and easier - especially for leaving your car at the rental agency office.

Orvieto is definitely worth a visit, even for the kids with the (here are two links with some ideas):

http://www.orvietounderground.it/index.php/en/
http://www.inorvieto.it/en/visit/orvieto_below_the_surface/saint_patrick_s_well.html

However, remember that it is a bit of driving - maybe you could take some the suggestions from Pro Loco Sovicille for some visits in Val d'Orcia and instead of going as far south as Orvieto head over to Lago Trasimeno (beautiful towns plus a sandy beach for the kids) before heading back into Florence.

Buon Viaggio