Packing for 12 days in mid September

Status
Not open for further replies.

nannette04

Lourdes,

We (4 adults) will be traveling to Italy from Sept 11 - Sept 22 of 2015. Our Itinerary will take us from Sienna, Isle of Capris, Rome, Cinque Terre and Tuscany before returning home to the US. We need to pack lightly since we will be utilizing, transfers, the rail system, as well as a rental car in Tuscany. It seems as though the weather will still be relatively warm while we are there. I know climate can be different depending on where we are.

What suggestions do you have for us? I always have good intentions of packing lightly, but I always pack much more than what I need.

Thanks so much,
Nannette

Packing

Buongiorno -

I'm not Lourdes :eek: but I can offer a few suggestions. First off, the temps might change a bit from Cinque Terre to Isle of Capris but not that much that you are going to need a vastly different wardrobe for each area. Probably the best thing to do is think layers. September (a great time to visit Italy), means that mornings and evenings can be cool - but as soon as the sun is out: hot. A tank or t-shirt is great for hot weather, put a shirt over it and you have the not so hot weather covered, add a sweater and you a good to go for the night and mornings.

However, in my opinion: The most important thing is to have super comfortable shoes - and better yet, two different pairs. You will be doing a lot of walking - and these will probably be the most important things you pack.

Italy is so diverse and even though everyone thinks "FASHION" here -- I learned real quick, don't even try to compete - just be comfortable. So, that means even when you go out to dinner at night - think comfortable, no need for heels or fancy duds (skirts, tops, pants, tie or jacket - not really a neccessity unless you know you are going someplace upscale)

You should also check with your hotels, but many of them will hair dryers, soaps ect - so you can go light on your basic beauty supplies. A lot of the places here in Italy are starting to offer upscale products using olive oil....so sometimes its like a spa ! And remember Italy does have stores - so if you really need to get deoderant or shampoo you can buy it here.

I hope that helps you some.

Buon Viaggio!

Packing

I agree that layering and wearing comfortable shoes is the way to go. If you plan on visiting churches knees and shoulders need to be covered for both women and men.

Have a great trip.

Covering up in a church

It is true that the Church definitely frowns upon people entering with a bit too much skin on show. Tank tops with wide shoulder straps are not usually a problem - it is the skimpy version that will attract problems. However the churches that are most serious about this request will normally sell something at the door to cover you up --- And in any case, if you have a lightweight scarf in your bag, you can throw it over your shoulders.

I have never had a problem or seen indications that the KNEES need to be covered...short shorts are not acceptable, but modest shorts and skirts are acceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.