Siena to Venice day trip

vaneeser

Hello,
I am planning my visit to tuscany and will be there 6 days during which we will visit the chianti and valdorcio area and of course explore siena, where we have decided to stay as our base. I was wondering if it would be possible to take a full day trip to Venice from Siena? Is that realistic and how would I accomplish this? We will have a car so that could be an option, but we don't necessarily want to drive into Venice ourselves. Venice is a city I have dreamed of visiting.
Thanks,

Venice from Tuscany

Buongiorno,

a trip to Venice from Siena definitely would make for a very long day - however, dreams are worth a bit of travel time. ;-)

I suggest that you drive your car to Florence and then catch the early train up to Venice - spend the entire day walking about and then train it home...definitely make the day after Venice a late morning day. Enjoy the pool at the place you are staying or a late late breakfast!!

When you look at getting your ticket to Venice be sure that you choose Frecciargento or Frecciarossa as the type of train because they are the fastests AND be sure you take a train that will go to Venice Santa Lucia. Thre are two stations (Mestre) and only Santa Lucia takes you into the city. It is about a two hour ride and the earilest train on weekdays seems to be at 8.30 in the morning. You could look at coming back around 6:30 pm or 7:30 pm and really have a full day around the city.

Buon Viaggio

Thank you DeniseDonna. It sounds like a full day, but it's doable.

On our way driving back from Vencie to Siena, can you tell me what the road looks like? Is it highway, small roads? Will the sunlight be still out or Is there enough lighting on the road? I ask this because we had an unpleasant driving experience on one of our travels in the U.S. So we want to take all the necessary precautions.

Thanks again for your time.

If you are staying in Siena, then you have two options to get to Florence:
- the super strada Firenze-Siena: this is a 4 lane road, two in each direction. The lanes are not super wide and speed limit is 90 km/h. It isn't lit at night, but there are reflective markers all along the sides so with your lights they light up and you see the road clearly. If you're driving late, you can use your high beams for better visibility as there is a divider between the opposing sides so you won't blind anyone. It is easy to get on and off, and it isn't a toll road.
- the Chiantigiana road: it is curvy and goes up and down between hills in Chianti region. Just two lanes, one in each direction. Max speed limit is 70 km/hr, going down to 50 every time you pass a small town.
I would suggest this only during the day as it is very scenic.
Dark at night, but again, with high beams you are fine. There are reflective markers on curves when needed.

We just did both this past weekend at night, for quicker travel I suggest the first solution.