Driving from Bologna to Castelnuevo Berardengo

olwen1

I will be visiting Tuscany in September 2015 but am flying into Bologna and then driving down. From what I can make out I would be on the Autostrada all the way but I would like to drive down through the Chianti Road. Would I have to drive into Florence itself or can I pick up the Chianti road from the autostrada. Could you also tell me the road number of this scenic route? Any advice would be very welcome. Many thanks.

It is autostrada for most of the way, as Castelnuovo Berardegna can be reached by following the A1 all the way to Montevarchi and then taking road to Castelnuovo. This is scenic as well the closer you get to Castelnuovo.
You can also take the superstrada between Florence and Siena, which goes around Chianti. You take it by leaving the A1 at Firenze Impruneta.

The more scenic road is the Via Chiantigiana - you take it by leaving the A1 at Firenze Sud and following signs to Grassina/Ponte a Ema. It will pass through Greve, Panzano, Radda and Gaiole. It will take an hour longer to do, but it is more scenic ---- do it if you're driving during the day and you can enjoy it!! Otherwise, I recommend the superstrada between Florence and Siena ;-)

Thanks for the Advice

Thanks so much for your very speedy reply. As we are driving down during the daytime I think we will follow the Chiantgiana and stop in some of the villages on the way. then we can go back via the autostrada at the end of our holiday. This is a great site by the way, with loads of useful info.

Thanks again.

Then definitely go for the Chiantigiana, stopping along the way... since you're in the area, you can come back to some villages you miss and enjoy them taking your time. Also head to Castellina in Chianti on another day ;-)

We're glad to help and glad you found us! :D