Traveling by train in Tuscany

swhited

Hi! While in Italy in October we are planning to take a train from Naples to Rome; then from Rome to Tuscany, staying in Tuscany for 4 nights. We will be flying out of Florence. Soooo...trying to decide where to base out of in Tuscany for trips by train (bus if needed) of the area. We would prefer not to rent a car. We would love to see the following places: Florence, Pisa, Lucca, San Gimingnano, Chianti, Colle di Val d'Elsa, and maybe Siena. I have considered staying in Florence for the simplicity of it. But also maybe in another location like Colle di Val d'Elsa to be nearer to the countryside, but still close to a train station. I realize not all of our desired locations may fit into the allotted time available, but wanting to keep travel simple so as to have as much time available for enjoyment. I'm also considering tour groups for the smaller towns and countryside. What do you suggest?

travalling by train in Tuscany

Buongiorno!
If you don't want to rent a car, than it is certainly better to stay in a town like Florence or Siena...they offer better and more frequent connections (train or bus) to other towns.
Colle Val d'Elsa is a very nice little town and it is certainly worth seeing it ... but it is less easy to find connections to the other places you have listed. We wish you a very beautiful holiday.

Colle Val d'Elsa would not be a bad idea to use as a base as there are buses that go to Poggibonsi and then on to San Gimignano and to Siena. So you get to go to most places you want to see.

If you have the time, I would divide the time up - a few days in Colle, then the last few days before you fly out in Florence. When in Florence, you can take train to Pisa and Lucca for a day trip.