5 Days in Tuscnay

Flame22

Hi,
I'm planning a trip of few days in Tuscany for my birthday but I'm not sure if it's too much or it's actually doable. I'm also not sure if spending 4 nights in san gimignano or 3 in san gimignano and 1 in Val d'Orcia.

18 oct. Drive to Pistoia from Bergamo in the afternoon. Spend the night in Pistoia.

19 oct. Pistoia, Collodi and Svizzera toscana. Then head down to San Gimignano and spend the night there

20 oct. San Gimignano,Certaldo and Volterra. (back to san gimignano for the night)

21 oct. Chianti area (castellina,greve,radda and maybe the castle next to gaiole) and colle val d'elsa. Back to San gimignano for the night

22 oct. Siena and Monteriggioni. Back to san Gimignano for the night?

23 oct. Val d'orcia ( san quirico,pienza, montalcino and montepulciano). In the evening driving back to Bergamo

I would appreciate any advice to improve the itinerary...

The itinerary looks good and not too much.

I would just suggest on the day you head to Siena to not head back to San Gimignano and instead choose another location to the south of Siena as your base - both for exploring Siena and the Val d'Orcia. San Quirico d'Orcia would be a good location - take a look here
http://www.tuscanyaccommodation.com/san-quirico-d-orcia/
We've stayed at Casa Lemmi which was very nice but Palazzo del Capitano also looks great (but would be more of a splurge, I think ;))

Yes, going straight to Val d'Orcia makes more sense! The hotel in this list all seem very nice!

I have one more doubt regarding the nights in San Gimignano.. I was thinking to stay outside the town to enjoy the view on the towers and on the countryside, bit on the other hand I'm a bit worried about finding a parkiing spot in the town the day We go to see it. I read parking in San Gimignano is quite expensive and hard to find. Should I give up the countryside hotel or will I manage to park in San Gimignano thecday of our visit?

Thanks again for your help and for this amazing website full of imformation!

Staying outside of SG makes sense, you get to enjoy the view and countryside. There is a lot of parking in SG - the cheapest lot is LOT 1 at the bottom of the hill, the others cost more. You need to walk a bit uphill to get to the main gate into the town, but it isn't far. I'd recommend that lot just because it is also one of the biggest. The others are a little closer to the walls but definitely cost more per hour and for the day.

Make sure to read this: http://www.discovertuscany.com/san-gimignano/parking-in-san-gimignano.html