trekking from Pisa to Florence

Kasia

Hi,

I'm planning a trekking holiday in Tuscany for October/ November time for about a week. I was thinking about walking from Pisa to Florence but can't find any info on trekking routes.

I have seen websites for cyclist but nothing for walking. Can you recommend a route or a website where I can find information. I don't want any guided tour and I am on a limited budget. I was thinking of staying is hostels or private rooms along the way. I am an experienced trekker. I've done Camino de Santiago in winter but I know this will be different.

Has anyone walked form Pisa to Florence? have you got any advice you could give, please?

Many thanks for all the comment,

Kasia

Like the Camino di Santiago, we have the Via Francigena - that is what I recommend you follow!!

Only thing is that it goes from Lucca across toward San Miniato then down toward San Gimignano - take a look at this site and at the maps: http://www.visit.viefrancigene.org/en/
there are downloadable pdfs with details.

Pisa-Florence is not connected with too many direct hiking routes.... you would end up heading north or south to one of the variants along the Francigena -- but along the way, you can always stop in Empoli and take a train the last 30 min into Florence, if you need to end up in Florence!

Hi Lourdes,

I was hoping you will write to me.Thank you. I can see you have knowledge, passion and experience:)

I knew about Via Francigena but I didnt know that it actually goes through Tuscany! That's like combining two dreams in one!

I also looks like I might be able to walk all the way to Sienna if i have enough time and then take a train to Florence and back to Pisa to fly back home.

Do you know if Via Francigena is popular with pilgrims in Autumn? will there actually be people walking it? will the pilgrim shelter be open?

kasia

Ciao Kasia,

You make me blush :) Thank you for your kind words!

You can definitely take the trail all the way to Siena, it arrives right in Piazza Duomo.
I have to say that the Via Francigena has only recently seen lots of segments repaired and signage put up to make it easier to identify. It really is not as popular yet as the Camino de Santiago but it does have its pilgrims that do segments, some which are more popular or easier than others. It really is a long trek so not everyone does it completely, often a week or less and just segments. The "problem" has been just that many parts of the pilgrimage route became ROADS which even today have cars -- so to make it same for pilgrim/hikers to walk along them, the region has been making sure the trail is safe, slowly rebuilding a safe route for walking.

The route is definitely popular in the fall but I doubt you'll find that many people on it, just because it is quite long. You shouldn't find problems in finding shelter along the way. Make sure to check that site out that I linked above as they have info on shelters, as well as getting your pilgrim passport (if you don't have one already from the Camino) to get stamped along the way.

If you arrive and depart from Pisa, you could take the train to Lucca and start from there toward Siena. If you do the legs as suggested on the site, you could make your way down to Siena in 6 days. So it could work, right? ;)