Hi dear supporters to Tuscany travelers

luisg

Hi, I am Luis, my wife and me we are going to Tuscany next week (Nov 20 to Nov 26) to stay in Montecatini for 5 nights, flying in Air Italia, arriving to Milan, we have a rented car in the promotion. The question is about what is the best way to traveling from Montecatini Terme by Nov 21 to Pisa, Lucca, Nov 22 to Florence, Nov 23 to Chianti and Greve, Nov 24 to Siena and San Gimignano, considering that we will have the car, but I would like to use the train (when is more convenient) you know, to avoid the tolls, gas spends, stress to drive in new roads and the parking also in some Cities. I will appreciate what can you advise to us. Thanks a lot anticipated.

Last edited:
I would suggest you take the train to Pisa, Lucca and Florence, then drive to Chianti, SG and Siena.
In Siena, you can park far from the city walls or at a parking lot right by the walls to have less to walk - take a look at the map here: http://www.discovertuscany.com/siena/tourist-info/parking-lots-in-siena.html
You shouldn't have too many problems with parking in any of the small towns in Chianti or in SG - park at the first lot as you arrive in to town! I recommend driving to these rather than train -- because train doesn't go into Chianti nor SG - and taking bus or train to SG or Siena takes more time away from being there, so since you already have a car (which you are paying by the day for), might as well take advantage! ;)

msg for Luis

Hi, My friend and I also brought the gate 1 travel special to Tuscany for January 2017. The car rental is included in the package but we are both scared to drive in an unknown place. We land in Milan and thought we can take the train to Montecatini.
my Question is:
1) Can we take day trips from Montecatini by trains to the nearby cities like Florence, Pisa, Lucca, Chianti, Greve, Siena, San Gimignano, Parma?
2) How is the weather in January? I googled the temperature but is it too cold to travel around and enjoy in winter?
thank you

Winter in Tuscany

Buongiorno,

The trip from the Milan airport to Montecatini is a pretty straight forward drive, and it will probably take you as long to drive it as to train it. You will actually avoid major traffic with the “ring roads” around the city and be on the Autostrada...which is a good easy road to drive.

Once you are in Montecatini, you can use the train to get to Florence or Pisa, but if you are going to want to visit some of the beautiful Tuscan landscapes you will need your car. Going to places like Siena or San Gimignano can put you either on panoramic secondary roads or you can catch the main roads - which I repeat are easy to navigate and both of these places are very well indicated.

As for the temps, last year it never got that cold. So it really is a hit or miss situation. In my opinion, I think there is always something beautiful to see, every season has its own particular charm and I am sure you will find lots to admire and explore in this period.

Check out this article with some of our favorite ideas: http://www.discovertuscany.com/what-to-do-in-tuscany/top-5-winter-activities.html

Buon Viaggio,
Donna Denise