Cortona vs Lucca HELP PLEASE

noodlehouser

We have been to Italy several times but this August we want to stay put and act more like a local....cooking, shopping, meeting neighbors, etc. We are thinking of flying into Rome and staying for a week - then taking a train to either Cortona or to Lucca - for a 4 week stay at a furnished rented house. We would rent a car for most of our Tuscany exploring. Obviously we could stay two weeks at one town and two at the other...but that kind of defeats the plan to get to know an area. Which town and why do you vote that way? Really perplexed! Prego! D and L in Austin TX USA

Cortona

Buongiorno,

As much as I dislike all the hype that the film Under the Tuscan Sun created around Cortona - I still find it to be "authentic", friendly and in a location that opens you to an area usually not explored by visitors. Which is a shame because it is lovely. Arezzo is the closest large town and you could spend days exploring all of its beauties - but even closer to Cortona you will find several small towns that are well worth a day trip.

From here you can also easily visit Lago Trasimeno (a fun lake area with a sandy beach!) and from there Lucignano and Montepulciano.

I lived for several years not too far from this area and I enjoyed the landscape, the people and the feeling of seeing a bit of the "real" Tuscany.

Buon Viaggio,

Donna

Thank you about Tuscany....but heat?

Buongiorno,

As much as I dislike all the hype that the film Under the Tuscan Sun created around Cortona - I still find it to be "authentic", friendly and in a location that opens you to an area usually not explored by visitors. Which is a shame because it is lovely. Arezzo is the closest large town and you could spend days exploring all of its beauties - but even closer to Cortona you will find several small towns that are well worth a day trip.

From here you can also easily visit Lago Trasimeno (a fun lake area with a sandy beach!) and from there Lucignano and Montepulciano.

I lived for several years not too far from this area and I enjoyed the landscape, the people and the feeling of seeing a bit of the "real" Tuscany.

Buon Viaggio,

Donna

Thank you for your comments. prego! But now we worry that August is very hot there and we may be better to look at other cooler months. Comments there appreciated. Ciao.

August can get hot, but generally quite manageable, especially if you're in a farmhouse with thick stone walls which act as great insulation and keep cool air inside. If you find a place on a hill, even better because you'll catch breezes!

Just keep in mind August is the very high season so rates are at their highest - as well as other tourists. The heat and that could be a good reason to look into a different time period - I highly recommend September and October :D

avoiding August

Hi -

Lourdes is right about the farmhouses being cooler and easier to manage...besides the fact that you can find AC almost everywhere and really the evenings and nights are pleasant because the temps drop just enough to make being outside pleasant.

However, if you had the possibility to go before June and/or after August then you would probably find your travels more enjoyable and economical. Less crowds, mild weather & temps and not high season: all of which really make a difference for a long stay.

Donna