Tuscany Travel

jakeanderton920

Good Day, I am looking to stay in Tuscany, about 3 km east of Colle di Val d'Elsa in the countryside. We would like to visit Siena, and maybe spend a day in Florence. The rest of the time spent at the house - total of 5 days in the area. Are there taxis from the train station (SMN) to get us to our house? If so, what would I be looking to pay in Euros one way? Or would I be able to rent a car for much cheaper over our 5 days?

Grazie!

Taxi vs car rental

Buongiorno,

Though you can get a taxi to take you to Colle from SMN - the price would be expensive you could try for an NCC (if you really didn't want to have a rental car during your stay) but that too would be around 300Euro. If you are truly not expecting to move from the accommodations the public transport system may work for you - but if you are going to travel or visit anyplace other than Florence or Siena you may still want to consider a car rental.

You could look into picking up the bus from Florence to Colle Val d'Elsa and then arranging for a taxi to the accommodations.

Have a look at this link for bus schedules (which also include info on Colle to Siena).
http://www.tiemmespa.it/var/ezdemo_...lication/c2becb35109fbb90d73cd65d178f05c6.pdf

Be sure to arrange for the taxi at Colle before you get there - they are not always waiting around at bus stations like in the bigger cities. Perhaps the owner of the accommodations can assist you in getting a local taxi number. If not let me know and I can assist in finding more details.

Buon Viaggio,

Donna Denise

As Donna has mentioned, if you are planning the two day trips to Siena and Florence and then staying put at your villa, I'd contact the place where you're staying at and ask them for help in organizing transport when you arrive and to the closest train station (which is likely at Colle). It could be a private transfer from Florence -- taxis can do this as well, but cost is not cheap.

The area east of Colle is Chianti wine country and to get around there, you do need your own car as bus service is spotty at best. If you're staying at a wine estate, you might not need to do much moving around and enjoy wine tastings and winery tour directly there -- otherwise, a car might be more practical.